Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hauling with 2011 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2011, 10:31 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hauling with 2011 Tahoe

I have a 2005 Trailblazer I love! I'm looking to buy a new Tahoe to tow my Featherlite horse trailer. I know the weights are fine. But, most Tahoe's do not come with the Heavy Duty Trailing Package that I see on the Silverado trucks. I'm looking at a used 2011 LT 4x4. It comes with Standard Trailer Equipment & also the Heavy Duty locking rear differential. Would this work for towing or do I really need the Heavy Duty Trailering Package? Can this all be added by dealer or needs to come from factory? I would much rather drive the Tahoe than the nice Silverado. Any help would be appreciated.
Old December 17th, 2011, 5:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Trailmom welcome to the Forum !

Having higher towing capacities is a great feature. It's always better to have those "ratings" above what you actually need. However, if you get pulled into a Weigh Station, they will look at the Manufacturers original rating for the Vehicle, not any aftermarket which you may have installed to improve/increase the GTW.

You need to check the Gross Towing Weight (GTW) by looking up the VIN number. You can do this by going to this site...
http://www.decodethis.com/
typing in the VIN for the Vehicle, then click on "equipment", and then finding the "Maximum Towing" weight as listed in the information. Hopefully, that will be greater than your needs. Then if not, you can determine what will be needed to satisfy that, which may include choosing a more capable venicle....maybe ?

Last edited by SWHouston; December 17th, 2011 at 5:14 AM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 12:20 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SWHouston offers some good advice. There are many things to consider when you are buying a vehicle to tow. Chevy likes to slap hitches on just about all of the Tahoe's and the dealers like to use that as a selling point. Unfortunately, there is much more involved then just having a factory hitch receiver on the vehicle. Many people think that just because they can hook up a trailer, they can haul anything they choose too. This, of course, is not the case.

Here are some of the things to consider-

1. Gear Ratio: GM offers several different options from the factory including 3.08, 3.42, 3.73, and 4.11. Obviously, the higher the better when it comes to towing, and "get up and go" power. It is important to note that you can change your gear ratio at any time, so long as the front ratio matches the rear (and vice-versa).

2. HD Towing Package: Most of these come with an integrated brake controller, which is not necessary, but is useful if you need it. If a package, this will typically have a higher gear ratio, and transmission cooler. Obviously, this is better for towing heavy loads.

3. Transmission Cooler: This is a must for anyone that will be towing a lot. Unfortunately, this is what GM often leaves out when adding a hitch to their vehicles. Luckily, like the gear ratio, a transmission cooler can be added at any time by a dealer, or any mechanic shop, for the fee of the parts and labor.

4. Auto Leveling: I believe this is offered on the LTZ's. This will level out the back when towing a heavy trailer. This is another option that is not necessary, but does help with towing heavier loads. It allows for better handling, and a softer ride.

The important thing to consider is that most of these options, although not all, need to come from the factory. The cost of adding them after the fact would simply make it not worth the deal. I would suggest using the site from the previous post, and find out some more information about the Tahoe you are looking at.

I hope that helps! These vehicles, with the proper options, will be able to tow a great deal of trailers and weight. You just have to consider what you are towing, and how much you plan on doing so. Let us know how you make out. Good Luck!!

Last edited by ChevyFreak; December 17th, 2011 at 6:20 PM.
Old December 17th, 2011, 2:07 PM
Super Moderator

Very well stated ChevyFreak, each of those items are things that Trailmom should take a close look at. Additionally, many who previously had not considered the ability of a vehicle to Tow, may have at some point put Tires on it, which are "less" than adequate for what Trailmom may have in mind. That is of course, a lesser consideration in the purchase of a used vehicle, since they can be replaced with properly rated equipment if necessary.

Trailmom, one more thing to consider concerning Tires, though one should not consider the wear of those which are on the proposed vehicle is...
That the tires which are on it, are ALL the same size !

Given the model you described being 4x4, and no doubt having ABS, would require that ALL the tires be the same size. IF you see that this is not the case, that should give you pause about purchasing that vehicle. Odd sized tires when operated on 4x4/ABS equipped vehicles, can cause some serous damage to the running gear, and subsequent major problems.
Take a close look at that for sure !
Old December 18th, 2011, 6:09 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Trailmom: Welcome to the forum.

Be aware that the factory brake controller is an option and not part of the HD trailer package.
Old December 18th, 2011, 11:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you for all the great info! Alot to think about & look into. I went back to dealer & test drove a truck. But, I am so in love with the Tahoe! What a driving experience! I probably will only tow about once a month a few miles from home. Maybe once a week during the warmer months. I can't see myself driving a truck all the time. This Tahoe is a good buy. I can afford to add a few things. I will have to add the brake controller to this Tahoe.
How do you go about changing gear ratio? I didn't know that could be done.
This is a great forum! All my friends that have Tahoe's & Suburban's keep them for life!
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:06 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Changing the axle ratios is an expensive task and more so if not done correctly.
Old December 19th, 2011, 12:33 AM
Super Moderator

Trailmom,

Take note to Shark's comment on "ratios" (plural) !
When changing that on a 4x4. one must do it to BOTH axles. Therefore quite expensive. I wouldn't recommend it unless there is a specific repair need.

The addition of a Brake Controller would complement you having Electric Brakes on your Featherlite. If that is the case, one may also need to increase the capacity of the Alternator as well. (a higher output Alternator)

Did you ever check the VIN Number to see what Towing Capacity it has ?

Last edited by SWHouston; December 19th, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Old December 19th, 2011, 1:54 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Trailmom
Thank you for all the great info! Alot to think about & look into. I went back to dealer & test drove a truck. But, I am so in love with the Tahoe! What a driving experience! I probably will only tow about once a month a few miles from home. Maybe once a week during the warmer months. I can't see myself driving a truck all the time. This Tahoe is a good buy. I can afford to add a few things. I will have to add the brake controller to this Tahoe.
How do you go about changing gear ratio? I didn't know that could be done.
This is a great forum! All my friends that have Tahoe's & Suburban's keep them for life!
I don't think that you will need to worry about changing out the gear ratio unless you get a truck ill equipped for the towing your going to do. which just pulling a stock trailer a few miles is something that I think the base models would be able to do.

for what you are talking about doing the example tahoe should be plenty... make sure when loaded to use the tow/haul if so equipped. trans cooler would be best, and are pretty easy to add in if not equipped. the locking diff is good for getting the trailer going on slippery surfaces like field/trail entrances. Brake controllers are obviously good as more brakes are more better.

add to that if your mostly just pulling a couple of horses, you should be fine. I'm not sure what motor options the 11's have, but even the smaller of them should work fine.

:chug: