Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

heating problems 2000 tahoe lt.

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the actuator on the floor is bad but even when i run that door manuallly i cant get good heat.. it improved a little bit but it went from ice cold to just cold
Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:23 PM
CF Beginner

Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

that is one of the diagrams i am using and it looks to be 100% right by what i can see and the other ones also.. #30 that actuator seems to be working fine it will move back and fourth all the way.. #15/16 that one is the one on the floor that i took off and is not working but even running that door by hand i cant get good heat. and #10 the mode actuator seems to be working fine no problem there.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dhonsey1
Thanks for all of that and here is what i have done..... The actuator on the floor i have taken off and run manually and i cant seem to get good heat that way and that according to my diagrams is the temp motor/actuator. the one behind the glovebox i can see and it does move when i hit the buttons that have the arrow for bringing in fresh air or recirculation. and according to my diagram that is the air inlet actuator also they have it named as the recirculation actuator. The 3rd actuator according to my diagram runs the door to wsitch from def. to floor ect. and all of that works just fine as well as the blower motor but 4 some reason i just cant get heat. and yes both lines are the same temp going and coming from the heater core. thanks 4 the help
Ok, if you are sure these actuators are working in their full range of motion, then your problem goes back to your heater core. Are both the hoses HOT and are they connected to the heater core. The previous owner could have D/C'd it.

The one that goes from defrost to floor and you can see that work? OK, POE: 1. CCP works, 3. Distribution motor works, 2. the recirc motor is the one responsible for bringing in the air from outside into the car. That is the one behind the glovebox because that is where the air inlet is. And just because you see it move from the outside doesnt mean it is moving on the inside. Take it out and try to push the door open, and if the car is on, gingerly see if the heater core is hot from the inside and if you get air distribution that way.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by dhonsey1
the actuator on the floor is bad but even when i run that door manuallly i cant get good heat.. it improved a little bit but it went from ice cold to just cold
ok, confirms 2 things: no heat from heater core and/or no air passage past heater core. There is your problem. One of these items is on the lam.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 9:00 PM
CF Veteran

#10, replace. It is the recirc motor. And you arent getting any outside air into the plenum to pass the heater core.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

#10 is the mode control motor? #30 is the recirc. motor? correct???
Old February 2nd, 2011, 9:36 PM
CF Veteran

The one marked, #10, is the mode.

The one marked #30, is the recirc. motor because it is located right under the air inlet. In the closed position it recirculates the air inside the car(aka known as the MAX A/C function because in the summer it would keep recirculating the cold air in the car continuously past the evaporator making it repeatedly cold.). In the open position it allows air to slide down the into the plenum past the heater core and then to whatever distribution pattern you set on the CCP.

I was looking at it wrong in the earlier post. I was looking at it backwards. #30 is what detains/allows the air moving to the heater core. Take it off and move the door with your hand. Use some tape and hold the door open and when the car gets hot see if you have heat.

Last edited by RacerX; February 2nd, 2011 at 9:42 PM.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:32 PM
CF Beginner

ok the recirc is working just fine i can see it opening and closing that door and i cant get heat that way.... so i am starting to think it might be the heater core. maybe you know but there is that cover for the cabin air filter.. i took that off and you can see the heater core.. i put my hand against it and it was cold not even warm.. but the two hoses that go to it are both hot.. one is a little hotter than the other but both hot.. and it is not bypassed because i have had the for 6 years and this is the first time the heat has never worked.. in any case i flushed the heatercore out last year because i could tell that it just didnt have the heat it used to but maybe i didnt do it the best way possible.. if you would i would like to hear what you think?? thanks 4 all your help and troubleshooting with me...
Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Well, when functioning right, both hoses should be hot as the hot coolant passes in one tube and out the other. If it was cold not even warm there may be a clogged passage in it. It should be as hot as the hoses because the fan is blowing air through it. This is where our heat comes from. Now if one is real hot and the other is not as hot then the core is clogged.

There is nothing left if the CCP and ALL your servos work. You can flush it again if you want to but I recommend a replacement.

Best way to flush d/c both hoses, run one hose from one tube to the ground, put a high pressure hose or your thumb over a garden hose through the other open tube and let the debris run out the other end through the hose to the ground. It works but I dont know how much space you have.

Quick Reply: heating problems 2000 tahoe lt.