Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

heating problems 2000 tahoe lt.

Search this Thread

Old February 2nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sucks.. It looks to me that there is no easy way to replace that without taking basiclly the whole dash off... am i correct or is there a somewhat easier way to go about that. because if it is as hard as it looks to me there is way to much involved and i will just take to somewhere to get fixed
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, its your call. They arent as hard as they used to be. But if you bring it someplace it will be about $500-700. You are already there, go to Autozone and see what the HC looks like and from there you can guess how hard it will be.

I mean the dash has to come apart from the window but not really OUT of the car. 3 or 4 12-13mm bolts at the bottom of the dash and maybe a few at the top. But since you can see servo #30 then see if the plenum has an access panel on it to remove the HC without full dash disassembly. The GM W-platform cars are like this. You remove the CC Programmer and there are 2 8mm screws to a panel door, remove the panel and another 2 8mm screws and the HC slides right out, through the glove box.

Get a nice flashlight and shine it up in there and see for yourself.

Disconnect the battery before you start to work. Dont want static to discharge the airbags by accident.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

well thanks 4 taking all the time to help me out i really appreciate it. if i have anymore questions you will hear from me. thanks
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:07 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by dhonsey1
this may seem like a dumb question but there is only 1 heater core for both the front and rear?
There's two. The rear one is back by the right rear wheel.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:14 AM
CF Beginner

is it better to take it in and have it flushed by a machine?? does that put more pressure through it meaning maybe break more stuff lose in the HC??? i would like to hear what you guys think.. also someone on a post a while back said something about flushing it backwards to get more to break loose, any truth to that
Old February 3rd, 2011, 8:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

frontwards, backwards, whatever. Just reverse the hose from A to B, and go B to A. Machine, Schmachine! You saw Terminator right? Dont trust the machines!

You have to think of this like the bathroom sink. You can clear a clog but at some point you are going to have to replace the pipe.

I am more along the lines of replacing it with a new one. When I did mine in Noviembre I got it from PepBoys, limited lifetime warranty. Maybe 3 hours total.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 12:20 PM
CF Beginner

I am going to just replace it but i am going to have to wait untill i have the money. But when i do i hope you are avalable because if you would i would like you to explain how to get to the HC the best way because i had the dash off and it looks like alot. thanks 4 all the help
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:51 AM
CF Beginner

Did you change the core and did that fix your problem?

I have an 02 Suburban with about 175K and it just started blowing only cold air out the front and only down on your feet. I cannot get it to blow anywhere but on the feet. The rear heat seems to work fine. Any advice is appreciated.