Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HELLLLPPP! My battery died in my Tahoe....

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2009, 2:28 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default HELLLLPPP! My battery died in my Tahoe....

Well short of the long of it, daughter was playing in car while my wife was cleaning it, turned on parking lights and now battery is dead. I jump started it, got a lot of messages in the DIC. Service TPMS, service stabilitrak, and my rear parking sensors arent working, and my radio wont come on. I know how to fix the TPMS. But the others I have no clue. Can anyone please assist me asap? Thanks in advance.

UPDATE: Luckily dealership was able to squeeze me in, they have to reprogram radio and rear park assist. ~$85. Need to replace battery. Gonna go buy a Die Hard tomorrow.

Last edited by Typerod; March 25th, 2009 at 5:42 PM.
Old March 25th, 2009, 9:43 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I wonder why so many things lost there programing from loosing power?
I wonder if I should expect a visit to the dealer simply because the battery needed to be replaced.... that ain't right
The following users liked this post:
JT.H (August 6th, 2022)
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:53 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds kind of fishy to me too! If that is the case then I'm not interested in another Chevy!
What do you mean that they have to reprogram the radio? Reset the time and stations? I mean come on!

Crazy I'd say, but good luck.
Old March 27th, 2009, 6:27 PM
CF Senior Member

hehe! Man, from what the work order said, it says they had to reprogram the radio, and since the park assist works off the radio, it all came back. I didnt lose my preset stations or my addresses in my navigation. I had to jump start twice that day, i didnt leave the car on long enough the first time thats why i had to do it twice. but anyways, got in the car, black screen on radio, wont turn on, and park assist wouldn work. the TPMS was needing retrain, but after driving it around i guess it found itself again.Does seem fishy, but its working again, really thats all i cared about. hehe! But yeah it does suck that if i lose power that this had to happen. Maybe its just a fluke instance. But I'm gonna go buy a die hard tomorrow and replace the battery myself, and I'll update if the same thing happens again. But it is dorky, that this happened for sure. I'll keep you guys updated.
Old March 27th, 2009, 6:37 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Not sure what year you had but the NBS Tahoe's electrical system leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. My OEM battery didn't even make it for 36 months which is a first. They usually fail at about 37 months.

If it happens again, try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes.
Old March 27th, 2009, 7:15 PM
CF Senior Member

I have a 07 LTZ 4x4. Yeah I shouldve just discon'd battery first, and see what that wouldve done. Maybe saved me some money.
Old March 29th, 2009, 2:43 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
Not sure what year you had but the NBS Tahoe's electrical system leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. My OEM battery didn't even make it for 36 months which is a first. They usually fail at about 37 months.

If it happens again, try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes.
Marc,
is that 36 mo from the day you bought it or the day of manufacture?
The reason I ask is mine was on the lot a couple of months and I am thinking I will preempt the failure and replace it at 36 mo that is about the average anyway down here in Texas due to the heat... normally I would tell anyone to just wait till it fails then replace it, they almost always give you a tiny heads up that failure is eminent but I'm thinking just maybe I should try and beat it to the draw...
Old March 29th, 2009, 5:31 PM
Administrator

Almost one and the same since I ordered and drove it about a week after it was built. Now I don't know how long the battery might have set somewhere. It did give some warning but it's hard to detect w/ this crappy charging system as I've jumped it several times before but never after it just sat for several days.

Worst battery failure ever was a Gould. Quit after one week. Don't think they're in the battery business anymore.
Old March 30th, 2009, 8:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery

was the battery bad / faulty? I was under the impression most modern cars wouldn't let you kill the battery... in my Jeep, woman's Mazda, and my dad's ford; if you leave any lights on, headlights, inside lights, underhood light, ANYTHING, it cuts them off after about 20 minutes... if you want them back you just turn the light off then back on. this means, even with the trunk open all night; the car starts right up the next day... does the Tahoe not do this? the Ford is a 04 and it does it...
Old March 31st, 2009, 11:29 AM
Administrator

The Tahoe has Retained Accessory Power (RAP) which maintains power to radio, PW, etc for ten minutes after turning the key off. But when the truck is off, there must be some draw somewhere cuz if you don't start it for several days (~ a week), the battery w/ be low enuf that it won't start.

Quick Reply: HELLLLPPP! My battery died in my Tahoe....