Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hello from South Carolina

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2011, 5:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from South Carolina

My first post, I just joined this morning!
I just bought the wife a 2003 Tahoe, it has a couple things wrong with it. The usual; speedometer not working and 4wd service warning.
It looks like you can order a new stepper? motor for the back of the speedometer. Has anyone done this? I'm thinking it reguires some soldering work and such. The dealer and local garages want $500-600 to fix it. I'm sure this is topic that has come up a million times, I just didn't have much luck searching.
The 4wd issue I think is just the switch. The thing that puzzles me is, if you disconnect the battery for a minute and reconnect everything works fine. So, in my mind I'm thinking it maybe something else, a bad switch is a bad switch, it wouldn't be tricked by the battery disconnection and reset would it? What happens is the 4wd service light comes on and the switch reads that the transfer case is in neutral and it clearly is not since it stills drives. However, I can't it to change gears, 2hi to 4lo,4hi etc when it does this. The lights just flashes and goes back to the red neutral light.
Thanks for any input and I'm looking forward to sharing info and experiences.
I will post pictures and such later, I'm just trying to keep the wife calm about her Tahoe and trying to get answers as quick as I can.
Thanks again!
Old May 10th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Don't recall anyone actually fixing the speedo. There has been some discussion re: the transfer case tho. Someone here can probably weigh in and offer some suggestions.