Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help 5,7vortec water leak

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2008, 4:59 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help 5,7vortec water leak

Hi

I have a 1996 Tahoe 5,7 vortec and now after a long standstill for a couple of mounthsi started it up and it started to leak coling liquide from the right side rear end of engine and it seams to come from the head gasket.
I read somewhere about some problem with corosion at the vortec heads cast iron block/aluminium heads on the first vortec engines as mine are but cant find it again. Someone who knows anything about this?
Is it anything else in the rear that can leak coling water so i dont tear the engine apart to no reason.

Hope you all understod my bad english []tryed to find any Swedish chevy forum when i found this great chevy forum.
Old May 4th, 2008, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts
Default RE: Help 5,7vortec water leak

My 1997 5.7 had a leak at the rear of the engin also but mine turned out to be the intake manifold gasket, I also understand that the quick disconnect at the front of the engin going into the intake can also be a problematic leak point.
Old May 4th, 2008, 12:11 PM
CF Junior Member

I filled it up today and started it up and after a few minutes running it started to leak again but this time i could see that it comes from the quick connection onintake manifold so i turned engine off ant when i grabbed the hose connection i got the whole in my hand It is like the connection was made out of powder and broked down just in the level at the treadstart at the manifold.
Now its just to get the rest of it out from the manifold so i can replace it.

Thanks in2pro for your help.

I just love this car and since 2000 when i bought itthis car has been working without any biggerproblem exept 1 fuelpump exchange until now.
Old May 4th, 2008, 1:50 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

V70tdi, The "nipple" that broke is very common piece to break off exactly as you described. Go to your local jobber or dealer to get a replacement part that is made of steel. I believe the steel piece and the clips and o-rings are sold separately so make sure you get everything.
If you get really lucky, you can remove the broken piece without removing the intake. use a suitable EasyOut. http://www.toolprice.com/product/122...t_Removal.html
I have had the most luck with the square ones. Just tap them into the hole, and use a wrench to turn the broken threads out. Sometimes they're really stuck in there though so you end up using the easy out, to basically smash and break up the old nipple. This method usually puts a few dings in the threads of the intake so running a tap throughit is usually a good idea. Then using a teflon tape, seal up the new nipple and run it in till its snug.
Old May 4th, 2008, 2:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks shawnvw now i know tho check that i get a steel part instead or this strange material.
I got the old one out vith a knife tapping it to parts. First i tryed an "Ridgid" extractor tap but the rest of the nipple was to soft and dont let the tap to get any grip in it so i go for the hard way and smashed it part by part.
I will go to the Chevy dealer tomorrow and hope they got the parts i need at stock.
Old May 4th, 2008, 9:37 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the Tahoe forum and good luck with your repair.
Old May 6th, 2008, 2:26 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: 73shark

Welcome to the Tahoe forum and good luck with your repair.
Thanks I got the parts today so now the car is running like a dream again and at the moment I´m in the middle of flushing the coolant system. I took a break so the coolant get cooling down after using radiator cleener and pure water so i can drain it again and fill up with fresh coolant.

EDIT: My Chevy parts dealer just finde the original aluminium nipple. Does anybody knows the part no for the steel nipple?