Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help!! Goo Be Gone won't get rid of gum on seat and floor mats

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2016, 12:01 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Goo Be Gone won't get rid of gum on seat and floor mats

My kid must have thrown gum on the floor of the burban and it spread onto the diaper bag and then to rear seat. I tried goo be gone but it won't come out! anyone have ANY other suggestions besides taking it to get detailed?
Old October 21st, 2016, 3:38 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would suggest dry ice, use the dry ice to harden the gum up so that you can break it up by scrapping it and vacuum it away... keep the vacuum handy as the gum as it starts to thaw will become sticky again..
For the floor mats you can place them in the freezer over night and get the same results... seats...not so much, that is why the dry ice...
Old October 28th, 2016, 9:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by in2pro
I would suggest dry ice, use the dry ice to harden the gum up so that you can break it up by scrapping it and vacuum it away... keep the vacuum handy as the gum as it starts to thaw will become sticky again..
For the floor mats you can place them in the freezer over night and get the same results... seats...not so much, that is why the dry ice...
ugh, i had to take my car to get detailed. the ice trick didn't work too well
Old October 28th, 2016, 10:54 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

In the future, a can of air duster is much easier to use than dry ice. Just invert the can and cold liquid comes out.
Old October 28th, 2016, 10:56 PM
CF Junior Member

where were you last week?!??! i'll keep some handy. my nephew is a computer guy and he has that stuff everywhere. i just dropped $100.00 on the detailing. i need to hurry up and find a good seat cover company.
Old November 4th, 2016, 8:59 AM
CF Junior Member

OP: if you are still in search of a solution, I just experienced a similar scenario with gum on a floor mat in my daughter's car. A little Google searching came up with several suggestions. One of the solutions was to use a "citrus-based" degreaser. Since I happened to have a bottle of citrus-based degreaser, I tried this method. I gave the spot a real good soaking of the degreaser and let is sit for about 10-15mins. I then used a narrow putty knife and began to scrap up the gum up off the mat. It took a little effort but it worked and no damage to the mat!! I probably should have let the degreaser soak for a little longer than I did, which probably would have made it easier to scrap up. Give this method a try.