Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help! I don't understand my owners manual!

Search this Thread

Old January 28th, 2016, 11:54 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! I don't understand my owners manual!

Greetings! I'm not new to this forum but this is the first time I've logged in. I'm hoping someone can clarify the manual for me. I might just be the dumbest person on this forum. So here's the deal... I have a 1999 K2500 Suburban. It's got the Push Button 4wd system and my goal is to safely dolly tow it behind my motorhome. I have been told that it can be towed 4 down but the setup for that costs 4-5k around here. I looked in the manual and if i'm reading it right dolly towing it is ok (this goes against everything i have ever been told). So, either i have been sorely mis-informed or I don't understand the manual correctly. My main problem (i think) is that I don't understand what they mean when they say "Front Towing" vs "Rear Towing". But here is my theory: Front towing has to mean the front wheels are the ones closest to the hitch. Conversely Rear towing has to mean the rear wheels are closest to the hitch. If my understanding is correct, my 4X4 can be dolly towed with the transfer case in neutral. I believe this to be correct because otherwise the manual seems to indicate that it's ok to Dolly tow a 2wd with the rear wheels on the ground. As there is no mention of needing to pull the driveline i want to confirm my understanding before I destroy a $3k transfer case. Any insite on this would be very much appreciated. Thank you!
Old January 28th, 2016, 3:57 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Front towing is towing with the front wheels off the ground. Rear towing has the rear wheels off the ground.

Your truck can be towed behind an RV with all 4 wheels on the ground. You must have the transfer case in neutral. Not because it will screw up the transfer case, but because it will screw up your transmission. The transmission pump is on the input shaft of the transmission (the engine side), so if you don't have the transfer case in neutral, you'll be spinning components of the transmission without circulating the transmission fluid. We would call that "bad."
Old January 29th, 2016, 11:41 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks a million for the clarification! You have just saved me $3500 in setup costs! I owe you one big time!
Old January 29th, 2016, 7:44 PM
CF Veteran

kudos on actually reading your manual...most people have no idea what is in it