Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help with power fold mirrors for 2010 Tahoe LS?

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2013, 10:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with power fold mirrors for 2010 Tahoe LS?

My wife just traded for a 2010 LS last week. She has to fold in at least one mirror to get it in the garage and it's still a pretty tight fit w/o folding in the other mirror, so it would be better to fold in both. Since it is an LS, this is a manual operation which is a bit inconvenient so we are investigating whether power folding mirrors can be installed on this vehicle and what it would take to do so. On another board, TahoeYukonForum.com, I have found a guy with a 2011 Tahoe LT that has some folding mirrors available as he swapped them out for tow mirrors on his ride.

We are getting conflicting info as to whether this can be easily done. My wife has done most of the legwork but I am trying to help her out with getting all the facts before we spend any money on parts, etc. I understand actually changing out the mirrors themselves is pretty easy, maybe 1/2 hour or so. I also understand the driver's side door master switch panel would have to be changed out (that is also available from the same guy that has the mirrors) along with the passenger side door switch (available from another guy on TYF). Then the BCM has to be reprogrammed (by the dealer's service dept) to operate the folding mirrors. So ideally I would swap the mirrors and switches myself then take the vehicle to the dealer for the programming and pay them only for that work. But the local dealer's parts dept. is telling her that there is a door wiring harness that would have to changed out on each side and they are quoting $228 each for those (plus labor to install). That makes this a much more expensive proposition. The guys on TYF that have been involved trying to help so far are not sure about the wiring harness issue. They thought it would be "plug and play" other than the BCM programming issue.

I've been told that depending who you talk to and which dealer you talk to, they may not have the best knowledge base to support doing this kind of parts swap with the least financial impact. If anyone has done this or has information with p/n's ,etc. to help me get this sorted out, it would be highly appreciated.

Last edited by Stevereno; February 21st, 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added info
Old February 22nd, 2013, 5:42 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Not sure about whether the cable is the same for the two different mirrors or not but your Parts Dept guy should be able to tell you.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 8:57 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...problem-54565/

Adding pwr fold signal mirrors 08 gmc - PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tah...-mirrors-3441/
Old February 28th, 2013, 11:45 AM
CF Beginner

Cool

Update:

Looks like this swap out is going to work out in spite of the resistance from our local dealer. They said they couldn't be involved with installation of used parts from another vehicle and insisted that new wiring harnesses were required for each door. I was wrong on the cost of those though, my wife said more like $275 each was what she was told. She had been referred to a custom shop that initially said they could "absolutely" handle that if needed but then they backed off and said they couldn't do it. Another shop I was referred to said yeah he could do it but it would be very expensive. He just did a similar upgrade on another vehicle (Avalanche IIRC) and it cost the owner $5100 due to being such a labor intensive job to install new wiring harnesses. For that amount we would be better off trading her Tahoe LS for an LT that has the folding mirrors already and get more bang for the buck.

Then this morning my wife talked to another dealer, Buckalew Chevrolet in Conroe TX, that had a whole different attitude. After talking to the service mgr by phone she took her vehicle there for a look see and he said the additional wiring is not necessary, he can install the used mirrors and reprogram the BCM for less than $500. Now we're talking! The only wrinkle would be if for some reason they can't make her BCM work with the swapped mirrors. I have been assured by a former GM technician that this should not be an obstacle.

So we're buying the mirrors and master switch (driver's side door) from a 2011 Tahoe LT for $275 shipped to our door. I've seen current pics of them and the vehicle they came off of and have no reservations that they will be in excellent condition.
Old July 12th, 2013, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

Good evening My Name is Gary, I own a 2009 Chev. Tahoe and a 2006 Tahoe.
Now to the point, I have read everything posted on upgrading from Manual to Power folding Mirrors. Here is what I have done so far:
  • Installed Power folding mirrors
  • Installed Master Power door switch Drivers Side
  • The Drivers side mirror works perfectly
  • The passenger side mirror does not fold but everything else works
  • Everything is- Puddle lights, directional signal in Glass, the glass itself moves, Heated, automatic dimming, just no folding
  • The mirrors are new and not used
Now were I am lost, as the way I understand it I need to program or Flashed the BCM by a Tech II. Am I correct?
I have already ran into one tech that states if it did not come on the vehicle from the Factory it can not be programed??? DA????

Any help is great appreciated !!
Old July 15th, 2013, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Gary - when my wife took her Tahoe to the dealer, the passenger side switch had to be "tricked out" by installing it temporarily in another vehicle that was equipped with factory installed power folding mirrors. From what I understand, the BCM in the other vehicle must have re-programmed her switch to operate the power folding mirror. Everything worked fine when the switch was returned to her Tahoe. The BCM in her Tahoe had already been re-programmed at that point.

Hope this helps.
Old July 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info, I have called the dealership and have an Appointment to reprogram the switch.
Again thanks for the info!!
Have a great Day!!