Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

help with running temp info please

Search this Thread

Old July 3rd, 2016, 5:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with running temp info please

My 1996 tahoes temperature seems to fluctuate from one line to another consistently while driving in all conditions, it never overheats and only fluctuates by about 20 degrees but I'm just wondering if it is normal or not, so far I have replaced the radiator(was leaking), the thermostat, and the heater selector switch. Please help as I would really like it to stay at a more consistent spot
Old July 3rd, 2016, 7:15 PM
CF Beginner

Any info would be apreciated I'm new to the forum and am not sure if I'm posting this thread right
Old July 3rd, 2016, 7:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

My 93 dash gauge varies from 140 to 200 - has done it for the last 275k miles - the entire time we have owned it
Old July 3rd, 2016, 7:42 PM
CF Beginner

That makes me feel better, thanks for the reply, I can't help but wonder if it is something to do with the temp sending unit.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 7:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

I keep meaning to change mine, just never get around to it. Guess I have just gotten used to the variability.
Old July 3rd, 2016, 7:49 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I used to drive a Honda Accord and I was always nervous of it over heating cause the head gasket go so easily. It makes me watch the temp gauge to much sometimes I think.
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temp ranges as described occur in ALL coolant systems in our vehicles.

This occurs most often when we stop suddenly, and the lack of circulation drives the temperature up briefly. Other frequent excursions of temp are experienced in varying speed traffic. This is a normal and unavoidable situation.

Most times, the manufacturer installs attenuation in the circuitry of the temp sensing system. What this does is, not allow the reading of the variation of temperature to move the dash gauge quickly. Therefor not causing the operator cause for concern, as you have experienced.

There could be several reasons why the attenuation capability in your vehicle has increased in sensitivity, but, all in all, the excursions you have described are not dangerous, but normal.
Old July 4th, 2016, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks, that makes allot of sense.