Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:33 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2014, 8:55 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the reduced power, service stabilitrak, service traction control issue happen to me the other night when leaving work. Took about three attempts of restarting the truck to get the reduced power to finally go away. I took the truck to the dealership today and they replaced the throttle body sensor. They also noticed that my thermostat was not working and replaced that under the power train warranty as well. I just want to say that Zimbrick Chevrolets service dept is top notch and have always taken great care of my vehcles.
Old January 24th, 2014, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer ran (2 hrs of) diagnostics and figured that the BCM was the source of the problem. That has been replaced. Have the truck back since Tuesday. So far, no problem other than the remote opening of rear tailgate is not working- it will open manually. This is likely that the tech programming the new BCM didn't enable that feature (says the service manager).

I never had a problem with reduced power, so the source of my problem may be different from yours. It seems that the stabilitrak/traction control service lights come on for a variety of reasons.

Glad you have a good dealer for servicing. I bought the Tahoe in Illinois and had a problem with a run down battery (from testing all the features) that was due to a programming error. I was lucky to be close to a dealer in Peru, IL when it happened (got a boost from a local mechanic who suggested them, because the car was still under warranty). We showed at 4:50 pm on a Tuesday and got the best treatment I have ever had at a dealership. I wish I could remember the dealer's name (google maps shows two in that area, and no street view, unfortunately). I would love to give them a public thanks for being so good to a walk-in one time customer. That was July 22, 2008 and, to date, no one has surpassed them in customer service. Whoever you are, you not only fixed the car, you reinforced my faith in humanity. THANKS AGAIN FOR YOUR SERVICE.
Old January 26th, 2014, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2010 Tahoe with Stabiltrak/Service traction contriol/reduced engine power issue

Hello all,

I have just joined the " newest victims club" of the GM stabiltrak issue.
My 2010 Tahoe has exhibited the exact same symptoms as listed in this thread. I have spoken with a few owners of GM/Chevy vehicles that have also had the same issues. ( some since 2003!)..This my friends is totally unacceptable, this issue causes a severe safety hazard. For those of you that have experienced a similar problem you know that when it occurs your vehicle becomes a skipping, slow, hazard on the road. I have had to pull off on my local interstate to " reset" the Tahoe. ( turning off the ignition, waiting and turning it back on). I will be contacting my local dealer tomorrow to discuss this issue. If I do not receive a satisfactory answer to this ongoing service issue I will then proceed to contact all necessary federal agencies to determine why this issue has not become a nationwide recall. At some point someone will die on a roadside while attempting to get their vehicle operational again when this KNOWN PROBLEM occurs. It is my hope that the dealer will acknowledge the issue and come clean on the problem and quickly resolve it. I will continue to post my findings and hopefully my resolution so the rest of you will also be able to take to the road safely. Believe this, you have not heard the last word from me, I will get an answer and get it posted.. Have a wonderful evening...Don
Old January 26th, 2014, 4:46 PM
CF Active Member

Not to start an argument, but GM has acknowledged the issue and has extended the warranty for the throttle position sensor to 120,00 miles. I do agree that a recall is looming because the issue can happen at the most inconvenient time.
Old January 26th, 2014, 8:04 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Also to add prospective, would you prefer to have a "limp mode" that allows you to drive on in a limited capacity, or just have the engine totally quit and the only recourse is to be stranded and have to wait to be towed...
It may be an inconvenience but I think it was a good move to at least give you the option to get to a safe place albeit hobbled...

Entering limp mode is no more dangerous then unexpectedly running out of gas, or the alternator quitting, or a blow out...
Old January 28th, 2014, 7:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
Also to add prospective, would you prefer to have a "limp mode" that allows you to drive on in a limited capacity, or just have the engine totally quit and the only recourse is to be stranded and have to wait to be towed...
It may be an inconvenience but I think it was a good move to at least give you the option to get to a safe place albeit hobbled...

Entering limp mode is no more dangerous then unexpectedly running out of gas, or the alternator quitting, or a blow out...
Q: Is "limp mode" a feature that comes only when there's an issue with the throttle position sensor?
Old January 29th, 2014, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

My understanding of the throttle position sensor is that it controls the throttle body and the amount of air flow entering the engine. With my truck the TPS was was not allowing my throttle body to allow air in to the engine or causing the throttle body to stick. This is what caused the limp mode to come on for my Suburban. I believe that limp mode is a fail safe which reduces power the power of the engine so it doe not cause permanent engine failure.
When I called the dealership to inform them of my truck going in to limp mode they were pretty certain it was linked to the TPS and the throttle body just by describing my issue over the phone as it seems to be one of the most common reason why these trucks will go in to limp mode. A quick pull of the codes can confirm the issue.
Old February 11th, 2014, 9:38 AM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I have a 2011 Tahoe with approximately 65,000 miles on it. I was driving and suddenly had the same messages as some of these others people have had. The triangle and engine warning lights came on "service stabilitrak" message started flashing along with 2 other messages, "engine power is reduced" and "service traction control". The 3 messages rotate and keep flashing each one, one at a time. My car suddenly slowed down and drives very sluggish. I would let me go no more than about 45 - 50 mph. We tried turning the car off, waiting and then restarting it. We then turned off the stabilitrak, but the problem persisted. I made it to work and turned the car off. At the end of the day when I restarted it, it was fine, but then it started the same routine again. Not just one error, but all 3. HELP! Any ideas what is wrong? Any help would be appreciated.
Old February 24th, 2014, 7:14 PM
CF Beginner

On my 2007 Surburban the Traction Control warning light came on and vehicle has a severe loss of power. What should I do. It is now parked in my driveway and my closest Chev dealer is 25 miles away.
Old February 24th, 2014, 9:17 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know if this might help anyone. But when I cleaned my throttle body a few days ago. I removed it and all that goes with it. Including the air intake. Disconnecting the maf sensor. Well when I put everything back together. I forgot to plug the maf sensor back. Started the vehicle and got the same messages. Stabilitrak and traction. Now I don't know if the vehicle went into limp mode because I did not drive off. Remembered that I forgot to plug in the nav sensor. Plugged it and restarted the vehicle and the messages were gone.

Quick Reply: HELP - Service Stabilitrak & Service Traction Control