Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help: Thermostat / Heating Weirdness (cannot warm up!)

Search this Thread

Old November 27th, 2021, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help: Thermostat / Heating Weirdness (cannot warm up!)

Help. My inherited 1993 Suburban 5.7L gas just won't warm up.
  • Past several years, it always ran cool -- 110-130deg as indicated by the dash and confirmed by the luke-warm cabin heater. When the radiator is blocked off (temporarily), the engine warms up perfectly, cabin heater warmed up (toasty!!), and all seemed ok. I assumed a stuck open (or missing) thermostat.
  • Yesterday, I replaced the thermostat. The old one was ugly -- rust brown. In its place, I dropped in a Duralast Gold 195degF Thermostat 15359DLG and placed over the top of it, FEL-PRO Thermostat Gasket 35062, based on the recommendation of my friendly car parts store. Fired it up, bled the coolant bubbles out, checked for leaks....
....and it still won't warm up. I yanked out the thermostat, inspected it, and it seemed fine.

My only thought is that the thermostat is somehow leaking, as if coolant is simply pumping around it -- is this possible? I have zero evidence of it, but it's the only thing I can think of if the thermostat SHOULD work and the parts were right (seemed to be).

Any thoughts / ideas?

I'm at a loss, as this shouldn't be too complicated.

THANK YOU!
Old November 27th, 2021, 3:30 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by allad
Help. My inherited 1993 Suburban 5.7L gas just won't warm up.
  • Past several years, it always ran cool -- 110-130deg as indicated by the dash and confirmed by the luke-warm cabin heater. When the radiator is blocked off (temporarily), the engine warms up perfectly, cabin heater warmed up (toasty!!), and all seemed ok. I assumed a stuck open (or missing) thermostat.
  • Yesterday, I replaced the thermostat. The old one was ugly -- rust brown. In its place, I dropped in a Duralast Gold 195degF Thermostat 15359DLG and placed over the top of it, FEL-PRO Thermostat Gasket 35062, based on the recommendation of my friendly car parts store. Fired it up, bled the coolant bubbles out, checked for leaks....
....and it still won't warm up. I yanked out the thermostat, inspected it, and it seemed fine.

My only thought is that the thermostat is somehow leaking, as if coolant is simply pumping around it -- is this possible? I have zero evidence of it, but it's the only thing I can think of if the thermostat SHOULD work and the parts were right (seemed to be).

Any thoughts / ideas?

I'm at a loss, as this shouldn't be too complicated.

THANK YOU!
Could be you installed the thermostat upside down, although I doubt that. Just because it is a new part dosen't mean it is good. My suggestion replace the thermostat again.
Old November 28th, 2021, 6:54 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 154 Posts

and not with a duracrap part either. Stant or AC thermostat is the better choice.
Old November 28th, 2021, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

And you can test the thermostat on the stove in a pot of water. Use a thermometer to see when it opens.
Maybe you have a partially plugged heater core?
I assume you have a rear heat system in your sub - does that also run too cool?