Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hesitation While Accelerating - 95 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old December 29th, 2013, 5:04 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hesitation While Accelerating - 95 Suburban

Hi Guys,
Picked up my "new" 1995 Suburban K1500 LS on Friday night. One thing I noticed was that when I began to really accelerate, or went up an incline, I got quite a bit of hesitation, jerking, etc.

They told me that it was going to need a tune up, as well as the muffler, so no biggie. I driven cars enough to know that this is a fuel problem. I was intending on replacing the fuel filter when I did the tune up. But we weren't going to do all that until I could get it over to my friends (heated) garage.

I stopped be the Auto Parts store, and got the fuel filter, along with a new air filter, and PCV Valve. I also purchased a Haynes Manual for the Vehicle.

Upon crawling underneath the Burb (in the snow) to replace the fuel filter, I discovered that that puppy wasn't coming off! It's very badly rusted on both nuts - inlet & outlet. The fuel lines look awful. And, I bet nobody has changed that filter in awhile (Hence, the hesitation while accelerating).

My question - Where do you get replacement fuel lines? Do I need to go to the dealer? YIKE$!!! Or, is there a repair that can be done to the ends of these lines where they enter.exit the fuel filter? These nuts are rusted on, and ain't coming off.

Bob
Old December 29th, 2013, 5:39 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

One possible solution would be to go to a filter with the hose nipples on it and use clamps on your fuel lines. However I don't know what the pressure is on your system so the clamps might not be sufficient to hold it.
Old December 30th, 2013, 5:43 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
One possible solution would be to go to a filter with the hose nipples on it and use clamps on your fuel lines. However I don't know what the pressure is on your system so the clamps might not be sufficient to hold it.
Thanks. I've already spoken to my buddies at the shop in town. They are gonna put it up on the rack, and check it out. It's just darned easier to work on that way (and warmer!).

It may need fuel lines, or whatever. This is what ya get when you drive around in the snow/salt up here. I know that fuel filter needs to be replaced. We'll get 'er done.

One of these days - I'm gonna build a (heated) garage. Then, I'll be out there all Winter......tinkering around.

Bob
Old December 30th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Be sure to put in a four post lift while you're at it.
Old January 2nd, 2014, 9:41 AM
CF Beginner

Have you tried some flare nut wrenches?

Yeah, they can get crappy looking, but will usually break free.

I would also change plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and check the timing. Might consider ignition module as well. You definitely don't want this to fail out in the middle of nowhere.
Old January 3rd, 2014, 5:52 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Sepp Wagner
Have you tried some flare nut wrenches?

Yeah, they can get crappy looking, but will usually break free.

I would also change plugs, wires, cap and rotor, and check the timing. Might consider ignition module as well. You definitely don't want this to fail out in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks. Yep, we're doing the whole nine yards. It's 20+ Below Zero right now, so yeah, we don't want any problems out on the road! Ha Ha!

Really enjoying the new Suburban. It's a really nice vehicle.

Bob