Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 28th, 2015, 3:19 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

HID Fog Lights Melted Housing

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2009, 1:18 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry HID Fog Lights Melted Housing

For those of you who are considering switching your fog lights over to HIDs, DON'T DO IT. I just noticed this morning that my fog light housings were melted. I guess the HIDs put out more heat than the factory housings can take. If anyone knows of a metal fog light housing for 07-09 Hoes, PLEASE let me know. I'm going to buy a new set and switch back to the factory bulbs until then.
Old July 20th, 2009, 11:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I have heard mixed responses about this problem... mixed as in conflicting.
I'm glad someone finally confirmed that the HIDs will in fact melt the plastic housings. I hate it had to come at your expense.
Old July 21st, 2009, 9:48 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I've heard on another forum that there are metal housings available but don't remember where. Might try Jeff @ http://shopcustomcreations.com/

Curious as to why HIDs for fog lites. Doesn't the extra brightness create more bounceback from the fog?
Old July 21st, 2009, 9:50 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

HIDs are fine in foglights, but any more than 4300k and you are pissing in the wind.
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:13 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed 6000 HID in my 07 NBS & have ran them 2 weeks with no problems! Try www.ddmtuning.com/ They have 2 different models, but one will melt the lens so I went with the lower watage 6000 & WOW are they bright!

Charlie
Old January 30th, 2010, 1:54 PM
CF Active Member

For those that have butchered in a bulb other than the 5202 style the housing takes it's guaranteed you'll have a melt down because most of them are quite long and place the bulb very close to the lens. Even with the few kits that actually supply a 5202 style HID bulb, you're still putting 35 watts of heat in a housing that is meant for a 27 watt bulb. That's almost 30% more power in the same space. I think if you use them for the intended purpose (fog/bad weather), you'll probably get away with it. If you run them constantly like a driving light, you'll probably see damage to the housing over time.
Old February 7th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast55
If you run them constantly like a driving light, you'll probably see damage to the housing over time.

And I've never seen anyone do that. Oh yeah just about everybody that has foglites has them on, even some in the daytime.

I guess it must be the "cool" factor or something cuz they certainly aren't bright enuf for driving lites or in the right location.
Old April 28th, 2010, 12:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by BMoTahoe
For those of you who are considering switching your fog lights over to HIDs, DON'T DO IT. I just noticed this morning that my fog light housings were melted. I guess the hid kits put out more heat than the factory housings can take. If anyone knows of a metal fog yellow hid light housing for 07-09 Hoes, PLEASE let me know. I'm going to buy a new set and switch back to the factory bulbs until then.
It has to be the kit you bought for it to melt.... mine are just fine.
Old April 28th, 2010, 1:55 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fogs

i smack the fog lights button usually early mornings or late evening, because the auto headlights aren't on yet, but its dark enough that i want my tail lights on...

or when its raining so that my tails light up...

that when next start i don't have to do anything.

if i turned on the headlights, they'd beep at me and i'd have to turn them back...
Old April 28th, 2010, 8:57 PM
CF Active Member

I found a place that offers a 25W 5202 kit. Unfortunately, it's not "plug and play" as advertised by most most suppliers in that the power connection is NOT a plug in connector that mimics the 5202 bulb, it's the "stick the wire in the hole and black tape it" routine that too many people describe as "plug and play". I contacted them and the correct power connection is coming, but no word on a time frame yet. These should not put the fog housing at risk.

http://www.spencershids.com/index.ph...id=46&Itemid=1

Quick Reply: HID Fog Lights Melted Housing