Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HIDS Installation?

Search this Thread

Old April 6th, 2007 | 12:50 AM
CF Beginner

Default HIDS Installation?

Got a quick question for anyone or everyone out there who has HIDS installed on there Tahoe. I was wondering how did you install them? Since I got mine today and I am looking at the headlights trying to figure out how I am able to pull the factory bulbs out and replace them with the XENON bulbs.
From what I can tell in order to change the lights out I need to remove tghe whole headlight assembly which seems like there are 2 screws on the top and 1/2 screws on the bottom but means you have to remove the bumper.
Does anyone have any information that they can help me out with since I am about to go to the dealer and pay them to put them in.

Thanks,
Donnie
Old April 6th, 2007 | 12:56 AM
CF Senior Member

Default RE: HIDS Installation?

the easiest way is to remove the two screws in the fender well and the screws on the top of the grill and pull down your front bumper to clear the two tabs on the bottom of the headlight once you've done that just remove your factory bulbs and place the hid 's in and mount the ballast box anywhere you have room and then put everything back together this whole process should only take 15min per side
Old April 6th, 2007 | 10:38 AM
CF Beginner

I didnt need to unscrew the bumper or the headlight to install mine.

On the drivers side, all you have to do is remove the cover (i think it was a rubber cover held in place by 2 screws) on the inside of the headlight (under the hood). You should easily be able to fit your hand in and reach the bulb for removal and installation.

On the passenger side, access to the bulbs are blocked by the air filter. You have to remove the entire air filter box and do the same as above.

Got mine done in about 20 minutes.
Old April 8th, 2007 | 4:01 AM
CF Beginner

Where is the best palce to pick up a good high quality set of HID and what size bulbs do they use?
Old April 9th, 2007 | 7:04 PM
CF Beginner

I am also looking for bulb numbers for hi and low beams.
thank you
Old April 9th, 2007 | 7:32 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: BadgerHoe

I am also looking for bulb numbers for hi and low beams.
thank you
Badger...

HI = 9005LL
LOW = H11
FOG = 2820
Old April 9th, 2007 | 7:50 PM
CF Beginner

thanks alot LTZbluez
Old April 9th, 2007 | 9:14 PM
Administrator

Welcome to the forum. Are you sure about the fogs? I'd heard that they were a GM special.
Old April 10th, 2007 | 1:11 PM
CF Beginner

You sure about the Hi Beams?
I called and spoke with the Parts Department where I bought my Tahoe from and they said that both the Hi and Low Beams were H11 bulbs.
Just wondering because that is what I was told and I will go and double check again but they told me they were the same if not that is going to suck for me.

Donnie
Old April 10th, 2007 | 3:41 PM
CF Beginner

I am pretty much sure about those Bulb #'s , but not 100% definate. I am also planning to change outmy Low, Hi, and Fog Lights to HID's and have found these Bulb #'s from various forums.

jdkluck... can you let us know if the Hi and Low beams are both H11 ?

73shark... you maybe right about the Fog Lights being GM proprietary, but thought I had found that info from this forum.

I will do more research on the bulbs as well, since I would not want to give any wrong info.

Quick Reply: HIDS Installation?