Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

High Mileage 2001 Suburban 5.3l Rebuild Advice

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2021, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb High Mileage 2001 Suburban 5.3l Rebuild Advice

New to site, so thanks for reading. I am like probably a lot of diy-ers and maintain my own vehicles. I have a 2007 silverado 4.8l with 290k and runs like a champ. Also have a 2001 suburban with 330k, still runs great, literally everyone on the vehicle still works and works great. It does have the "ls" tick when it is warming up and have noticed power isn't where it should be, basically, she's tired. Have everything to rebuild suspension and rear diff, no issues there. Question is, prior to doing suspension work, I am trying to determine if I should start planning on anything for the engine, or if all of the work is worth it. I have built several old school motors (small blocks for toys), but never an "ls", so I am debating on my options, rebuild, replace (new or old), or just sell. Again it is in great shape, so selling seems extreme, (question I always ask is would I buy it for what I would be selling it for, if so, then why sell). I am leaning towards rebuilding, I am thinking 2k (haven't priced everything) with me doing labor and assembly (minus machine work). So when doing a rebuild on such a high mileage engine, I am assuming it will need valve job, but not sure about springs, bottom end (assuming bored over), cam, bearing...etc. So I am looking for advice, should I just assume to replace everything internally or is it even worth it? I don't mind the labor, and I know I won't be able to get all of the money back out of it, which means I would keep it a few more years. Help me off the cliff. Thanks for the feedback.