Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

High temp/ low coolant

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2013, 11:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High temp/ low coolant

Hi guys... Have an 05 Suburban with 163k miles on it. Two days ago I noticed the temp gauge rising to about 240 deg while idling. Fans kicked on with no change. Then while driving the temp returned to 210 and stayed there. Happened a few times since. Never noticed that before in the past four years. When checking under the hood there was very little coolant in the reservoir.
Are these related? Assuming so.
I just added a quart of oil last week. It uses about a quart ever oil change or so. I do not notice any white smoke from the tail pipe. The oil on the stick is not milky, just plain dark brown/ black.
There's no pooling on the garage floor- ever.
What are your ideas?
Old October 8th, 2013, 12:38 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Sticking t-stat, trash either in front of or between the A/C condenser and radiator, water pump failing, collapsed lower hose, clogged radiator, etc.

Check the underneath side of the oil fill cap. If it looks like gray jelly, then you're getting water in the oil.
Old October 8th, 2013, 1:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Temporarily tape/tie a small jug/bottle where you can put your discharge tube from your reservoir in it. I'd like to know if you're loosing coolant by blowing it out that overflow, or through the engine.
Have you done a "sniff" test for Fuel Gas in the Radiator headroom ?

Last edited by SWHouston; October 8th, 2013 at 1:12 PM.
Old October 8th, 2013, 2:05 PM
CF Beginner

No sniff test yet.
Dumb question... How do I know the difference between dexcool and the glycol coolants? I night this used and don't know if the previous owner changed it from dexcool or if it is original. I read you can't mix the two coolants.
Thank you for the help guys... Not mechanically inclined!
Old October 8th, 2013, 7:05 PM
CF Senior Member

Dexcool, orangish-red. everything else, green.
Old October 9th, 2013, 11:03 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

could be that it's just low coolant since there is no leakage. simple thing first add coolant. if it's still happening, then like shark said the thermostat might be sticking. change that and give us an update.

heres a link on a how to

Old October 9th, 2013, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hey guys... added a gallon of coolant this morning. Staying cool so far. Will be observing for signs of leakage/ use. It seems to run great! Can you guys recommend those sealants, like Bar's Leak? Do they work? And is this engine just getting worn out? Should I be looking for something else? One more question, how hard can it be driven. I drive a lot and when my wife drives it, she drives it hard!
Old October 9th, 2013, 3:19 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I wouldn't drive it much at all until I determined where that gallon of coolant went.
Old October 9th, 2013, 3:34 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

as far as stop leaks go, imo i think most stuff out there is snake oil. some people swear by it but i think you should get a proper fix. not some genie in a bottle stuff. might do more harm then good

Last edited by trainwreck91; October 9th, 2013 at 3:39 PM.
Old October 9th, 2013, 7:15 PM
CF Junior Member

Throwing a bottle of stop leak in probably won't hurt anything, and may seal a small leak. But before you do that, get a pressure tester from your local auto parts store, they lend them out. Mine had a small leak that I couldn't find. Put pressure to the system in the driveway and it should be easy to see if you have an external leak.

Quick Reply: High temp/ low coolant