Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hoe or Burb?

Search this Thread

Old February 14th, 2012, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hoe or Burb?

Hi all!

My first child (boy) was born (considering 2 or 3 kids in all) just last year and already I'm considering a larger vehicle.

What I currently have is a 2 door Toyota Solara and a Rav4. Obviously the Solara isn't family friendly. Mounting the child seat in the back is a pain in the back. Second, the Rav4 is doing just fine, however, when we make trips at Costco, with groceries and strollers, the vehicle fills up quickly. As the family grows, this mini ute will be too small. I also have a 100lb German shepherd.

So I've thought about a larger vehicle.

First, I would like a minivan, but only a new one. However, they are pretty expensive. About $28,000 for a decent one. I am considering a used larger suv since they are cheaper (high gas prices, I don't drive that much) and safer if driven properly.

So I need your input and suggestions.

First, I'm thinking of only wanting to spend $15,000 on a used Suburban or Tahoe. Second, what is the mpg difference between the two? I know the burb is longer, but is it really a big difference? I wouldn't mind a 1mpg hit for the extra space.

Second, I have the impression that used Tahoe/Suburbans should still be somewhat robust since they have a truck's hardware rather than mini vans which have a car's. Can someone confirm? Are the burb's engine and tranny robust enough to still be reliable at about 80,000 miles?

Third, safety. I know they've fare pretty well on a head on collision with an average family sedan. How about getting t-boned? As for roll overs, I know it depends on the driver.

Finally, which generation and specs to buy. Since my budget is limited, what can I get with that in the used market. Should I get the 5.3, 5.7, 6.0 or 8.1. RWD or 4WD.

What are your real world averages in city driving.

Thanks again!
Old February 14th, 2012, 1:48 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the 5.3 is the best engine in the bunch if you don't need to tow over say 7,000 lbs

in CA, does it snow? if not 2WD is fine, unless you plan to offroad in this thing...

they get the same MPG or within 1 mpg.

get the burban, the size of the tahoe makes it stay more expensive longer second hand. less people want the bulk of the suburban, but it's the same vehicle, with kids, kids friends, and kids gear, you want the burban.
Old February 14th, 2012, 1:54 PM
CF Addict

I had these on my '95 Tahoe. I liked them. Quiet and had grip when needed.

Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

sorry for so many posts, there's no edit button any more?!
Old February 14th, 2012, 1:54 PM
CF Addict

wrong tab. where is the delete button? or edit?!
Old February 14th, 2012, 6:06 PM
CF Beginner

The only downside to the Suburban over the Tahoe is going to be for parking because of the extra length. Once you get used to it it's not a problem. There's really no noticable difference in the gas mileage between the two so I suggest the Suburban for the extra room. The 5.3 is a great engine and I cant remember if it was '05 or '06 they went to an electric engine fan set-up which helps the mpg's a little. I have a 2004 Suburban and I get between 12 to 14 mpg in town (not using FWD) and out on the hyw around 18 to 19.

Last edited by 40native; February 14th, 2012 at 6:10 PM.
Old February 14th, 2012, 10:58 PM
CF Junior Member

Looking at California prices (at least here in the Bay Area), your $15,000 will buy a fully loaded 2005 Suburban 1500 with the 5.3, or a moderately well-equipped 2006. Although you'll spend a little extra on the purchase and again at the gas pump I'd recommend the 4WD, especially if you ski at Tahoe or Mammoth. And since the ground out here tends to be a little shaky at times, the 4WD might someday be useful if you find yourself driving on what's left of a road.

My '93 Suburban 1500 lasted from diaper bags, strollers and booster seats through the high school band complete with instruments--205,000 miles when I finally traded it in. The only major problem was a $2,000 transmission rebuild at 148,000. The 5.7 ran beautifully right up to the last day I owned it. From experience I can tell you to look for a darker interior color if you'll have small children as passengers.

I traded the '93 last summer for a 2007 Suburban 2500 with the 6.0 engine. I love the truck, but if I had to do it over I might go for a 2006 (final year of the last generation). The '07s and up are over-engineered with overly complicated electronics, and have flaws that a vehicle this expensive should not have. Just read through some of the threads here and you'll see what I mean (my favorite title is "2007 Tahoe has lost its mind").

With the bigger engine and using the Burb for a daily commute I'm averaging 13 MPG, but economy is not the reason I bought another one. I drive a crazy scary section of highway in both directions five days a week--four lanes narrowing to two, and a 65 MPH speed limit with cross-traffic. I plan on surviving the accident.

1988 Mercedes Benz 560SL (Wife's)
1998 Mercedes Benz S420 (Wife's)
1995 Mercedes Benz C280 (Daughter's)

2007 Chevrolet Suburban K2500 3LT (MINE!) <!-- / message -->
Old February 15th, 2012, 12:51 PM
CF Active Member

You will be happier with the Suburban, not a difference in Mileage, but a huge difference in capacity. Get the 5.3 for mileage, mine has 3.73 gears and gets 20 highway and 15 city.
Old February 16th, 2012, 12:30 PM
CF Active Member

Once you have owned a suburban you will feel naked with out one. I'm on #3 and will always have one for all the above reasons and more. Bob
Old February 16th, 2012, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Another option you might consider is eBay. I've bought and sold many vehicles on eBay and have never been burned. Sure, you have to be careful but with a little work you can save yourself some serious money.

In fact, the reason I've just joined this forum is last night I closed an auction for a 99 Burban LT K1500. It had 150,000 miles but the guy did a ton of maintenance on it, had the receipts, and had a good rep on eBay. Sweet truck with lots of tlc, now mine for $3,950. Will the 5.7 engine seize tomorrow? Maybe, but I really doubt it. I had a 88 vette with the same basic engine and. When I sold her with 191,000 miles, she was running strong, no smoke, no nothing.

To close, the Hoe will get you into a few more parking slots, and maybe 1 more mpg. But you can't haul 8 of your closest friends to the game, and take all their beer and chips.

Later.
Old February 17th, 2012, 8:07 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

suburban. 80k isn't much for these trucks. running gear is better than a car.

gm minivan my ex girlfriend type thing had (astro) got 14-15mpg mixed driving.
my 90 1/2 ton gets 14-15mpg mixed driving
my 01 suburban gets 13-17mpg mixed driving.

I've found american mini-vans don't get much better (if any) mpg than a burb, so you really don't lose much in mpg, but man you can haul a bunch more in a suburban than a mini-van.

5.3 is a good motor. I wish I'd held out for 4x4, but it's less parts with 2wd and less things to fix.

:chug:

Quick Reply: Hoe or Burb?