Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hood Not flush with quarter panel on driver side

Search this Thread

Old March 31st, 2013, 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Not flush with quarter panel on driver side

I have read in other posts that a weak spring could cause the hood to not get pulled down enough to match the quarter panel! Anybody figure out how to align the rear part of the hood? I have a big gap and it starts on the back side of the hood and gets better toward the front. There are no adjustment on the hood, hinges or spring. This is on a 2003 Tahoe.
Thanks in advance!
Old March 31st, 2013, 2:22 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Springs are there to aid in raising the hood.
Old March 31st, 2013, 7:00 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

Unless you are the original owner, I'd suspect crash damage. If it's just something that cropped up out of the blue, then check all of the mounting bolts to see if anything has shifted. If they haven't then there might be enuf slop if you loosen the bolts and adjust it down.

Has the fender/door gap?
Old April 1st, 2013, 6:05 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Unless you are the original owner, I'd suspect crash damage. If it's just something that cropped up out of the blue, then check all of the mounting bolts to see if anything has shifted. If they haven't then there might be enuf slop if you loosen the bolts and adjust it down.

Has the fender/door gap?
The fender lines up just fine with the door! Talked with a auto body shop and they say to put a washer under the hinge but that didn't fix anything. A post I saw awhile back mentioned the spring making a difference, Im thinking because it was under a strain and sprung too much if it was in a wreck! I know the previous owner did in fact have a wreck in it but just confused. Body shop says its a common problem with the Tahoe!

Any help would be appreciated!
Old April 1st, 2013, 7:59 PM
CF Active Member

Body panel alignment is a true art. It takes a lot of playing around to get panels aligned perfectly. As 73Shark noted, loosing up some of the bolts may provide you with some play. It is unfortunate that your truck was in an accident and not repaired as you would like. Your best choice would be to have a GM dealer body shop align the panel properly for you. However if you would like to try and fix it yourself you may want try the following:

- Raise the hood
- Support the hood so that it doesn't fall
- loosen the bolts on hood hinge and try and apply pressure to move the hood hinge down. This will pull the rear hood hinge down.
Tighten the bolts.

- If this does not provide for enough adjustment you can try and bend the hinge down
or
- Remove the hinge and elongate the hinge bolt holes

It will take a lot of trial and error, since the vehicle was in an accident.

Good luck with the repair

Last edited by mulmur1; April 1st, 2013 at 8:04 PM.