Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Hood Springs died!!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2014, 4:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hood Springs died!!!!

The Left hood spring died on my '02 Yukon XL. Died in a BAD way! When I tried to close the hood, the spring stayed up, but the front of the hood pulled down! Nasty crease in the hood now! After several 4-letter words, I pulled the old spring off (came off quite easitly), but the damage is done.

Did a little bit of research...my questions are:

1) Looks like there is a TSB #06-08-63-001A: High Closing Effort of Hood (Align Hood Latch) - (Jul 19, 2007) . But I cannot find the text of the bulletin. Should I read this before proceeding?

2) What is the best way to straighten out the obviously fatigued hood? I sure as heck do not want to buy a new hood, but the idea of my hood flying off the car going 75 MPH is not appealing. Looks lilke new springs are pretty cheap, but will alignment be impossible?

Any comments or help (or even just some sympathy!) is appreciated.
Old February 17th, 2014, 7:39 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Default #06-08-63-001a

Sorry to here that

Service Information 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2WD | Avalanche, Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, Yukon (VIN C/K) Service Manual | Document ID: 1999032
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#06-08-63-001A: High Closing Effort of Hood (Align Hood Latch) - (Jul 19, 2007)

Subject: High Closing Effort of Hood (Align Hood Latch)

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2008 GMC Yukon, Yukon XL

Attention: Due to design changes incorporating the addition of a gas charged assist strut, the way in which the vehicles hood closes is different from the previous GM full-size utility vehicles. Customers should be instructed to lower the hood slowly to the secondary latch position (hood lowered to first engagement point) then push down firmly on the front edge of the hood to securely close it. You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal. If an attempt is made to "slam" the hood from a wide open point, the resistance of the gas strut may overcome the users input, and result in high closing effort. If the hood is closed properly and excessive pressure is still required to engage the latch, follow this Service Bulletin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to add the 2008 model year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-08-63-001 (Section 08 -- Body & Accessories).

Condition
Some customers may comment that the hood is difficult or requires excessive pressure to latch.

Cause
The design of the new full-size vehicles listed above incorporates a gas strut to assist raising and holding the hood in a fully open position. When closing the hood you must first overcome the pressure of the gas hood strut, and then the secondary and primary hood latch positions. If the rubber bumpers are out of adjustment, or the hood latch is misaligned, excessive latching effort may be experienced.

Correction
Align the hood latch. Inspect and adjust the rubber hood bumpers as required using the following procedure.

Inspect the hood alignment for height, relative to the leading edge of the front fenders. This is the critical point for alignment to achieve good closing action.
Release the hood.
Notice: You must only push on the rolled top edge of the hood at the very front. Do not push farther back on any flat section of the hood as you may dent the metal.

If the hood was out of alignment, adjust the bumpers as needed to properly align the hood. Close and check the hood for proper alignment and closing action.
With the hood in the secondary latch position, you should be able to view the striker and the latch through the front opening of the hood.

Check the alignment of the striker. The striker should be centered in the primary latch as shown in the illustration above.
If the striker is out of alignment, loosen the three retaining bolts and adjust until the striker is centered.
Tip
You may wish to mark the latch position BEFORE adjusting to assist you in maintaining the original vertical alignment of the latch.

Secure the three latch retaining bolts.
Tighten
Tighten the bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Confirm proper operation and effort to close the hood.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

B1500
Hood and/or Latch Assembly - Align/Adjust
0.1-0.3 hr

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a ""do-it-yourselfer"". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© 2014 General Motors Corporation. All rights reserved.
Old February 19th, 2014, 4:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the reply...seems this TSB does not apply t my '02. It has coil springs!

Anyone else share my experience? I would obviously rather not replace the hood. Is there any "acid test" I can do to check the integrity of a bent up hood?