Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to determine if a used Suburban has the Max Trailering Package

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2016, 3:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to determine if a used Suburban has the Max Trailering Package

I'm in the market for a used 2015 Suburban; when looking how can I determine if it has the Max Trailering Package? Is the presence of a trailer brake controller on the dashboard enough?
Also will this package on the sububran be okay for long distance pulling a traiiler that is around 7000 gvwr?
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings Tyler, welcome to the Forum.

IF, you have an Electric Brake Controller on that vehicle, you can be assured it is rated for Towing. An additional indicator is, a button on the end of your shift leaver, which sets the transmission in tow mode (more rapid/firmer shifts).
Weather you have the very highest rating (GTW), will depend on other inclusions on the build sheet, like Anti Sway or other enhancements (for that duty.
To find out just how much your GTW is for that vehicle, you can go to the GM website, enter your VIN, and take a look at the build Sheet, and using our Decoder may be useful as well. It also is possible that there may have been aftermarket equipment installed, which would effect the GTW. An experienced mechanic, or Trailer Equipment installer, would be able to help you find that.
Your suggestion of 7000 lbs would be no problem, even with a Burb which is most modestly equipped to tow (ie: hitch receiver only).

Site DeCoder...
VIN Decoder - Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Last edited by SWHouston; May 22nd, 2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 10:49 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the response but I'm still a little confused. I was told by a chevy mechanic that the build code "NHT" is the "Max Trailering Package". A vehicle that I'm interested in has this code and has the trailer brake but when I run the vin decoder it says that it has the 3.08 ratio and the MT is suppose to have a 3.43 ratio. Can the VIN decoder be wrong? [url=https://chevroletforum.com/forum/vindecoder.php?vin=1GNSKJKC3FR134190]VIN [/url.] Can you send me a link to the GM website where I can check the vin (I couldn't find it)?

Last edited by Tyler R; May 22nd, 2016 at 11:12 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 4:45 AM
Super Moderator

Tyler, my apologies !

I admit it's been a while since I've needed to look up a VIN, and it seems that GM has changed/deleted a LOT of that information on their website. I kept running into many links which I had saved, which were no longer viable.
This is as close as I've gotten...
https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/vincards/

Now, I'm rather surprised that you've quoted axel ratios which are so low. One rarely finds vehicles which a tow rated with those numbers.
In your Glove Box, there should be a placard/sticker which has the RPO Codes listed for that vehicle. Those indicate the specifications/items which were installed in/on that vehicle from the factory. Most Axel/Ratio information starts with the letter "G".
Look therein, then go to this link to id that information...
http://www.rpocodes.com/GM-RPO-codes...GthroughM.html

That page will lead you to a lot of other information on how the vehicle was equipped.

Last edited by SWHouston; May 23rd, 2016 at 4:55 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks again,
That last link show that it does have the 3.42 ratio which is what the Max Trailering Package says it includes when you build a Suburban online.
GU6 : AXLE REAR, 3.42 RATIO
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

GREAT !

Glad that you were able to verify that, but, those lower ratios generally are placed behind a larger engine. Do you know which engine you have ?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

I agree it seems low, and as far as I can tell Chevy only offers 1 engine configuration for the 2015/16 Suburbans
5.3L EcoTec3 V8 engine - is the only option when you build one online, and doesn't change if you pick 2wd/4wd or Max Trailering
Old May 23rd, 2016, 12:36 PM
CF Beginner

Do you still think it will be okay for pulling 7000 pound trailer long distances?
Old May 23rd, 2016, 2:36 PM
Super Moderator

Umm, seems like if you ordered one online, you'd be able to set it up with all options available...oh well.

I'd say with that ratio, you're probably going to get fair gas mileage, without a Trailer.

You haven't mentioned if it's a 4x4...
Having the 4lo option, has really made my Trailering a breeze for maneuvering, not hi-way towing.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but, when one shifts into Lo Range via the Transfer Case, it increases your gear ratio by almost 3 times. That would put my functional 1st gear ratio at 84.444, or a figurative gain from 325hp to 844hp. (that's an equivalent, not actual)
I really like the ability to use that when one needs to "ease" a trailer along.

No problem on the long distances...
I can see you driving in 3rd gear in hilly/mountain conditions. Frequently those with heavier loads do this, to keep the transmission from shifting down so frequently. And, like I said previously, that 7000 lbs is industry standard for Suburban's, without any add-ons or special equipment.

Last edited by SWHouston; May 23rd, 2016 at 2:52 PM.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 11:22 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler R
Do you still think it will be okay for pulling 7000 pound trailer long distances?
I can only post based on my experiences, which are 15,000 miles of heavy, long-distance towing with two different Suburbans and four different travel trailers.

The biggest concern about pulling a heavy trailer long distances with a half-ton Suburban is your rear axle rating. A half-ton Suburban is only rated to 4200 lbs on the rear axle, and that number gets used up fast with trailer tongue weight, hitch weight, and the weight of your passengers and cargo. It's also a semi-floater, so it's working harder when you're towing a heavy load, and will get hot on long trips. My '01 half-ton Burb is on rear axle number 4 because I broke it multiple times on cross-country towing trips. Part of the problem is the extra weight of the body of the truck; it's not as front-biased as a pickup.

For towing a 7,000-lb trailer long distances, I'd recommend a half-ton pickup or a 3/4-ton Suburban, which was discontinued after 2013. The 3/4-ton Burbs are much more rare and harder to find, but they're beasts, and have the 10.5" full floater rear axle, which is just about an unbreakable axle in that application. I've towed an 8600-lb trailer with my 2500 Burb, with over 1,000 lbs of cargo and passengers. That was a 1,000-mile trip, and it was a beautiful trip.