Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How does the rear entertainment video inputs and Navigation unit operate together?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 1:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does the rear entertainment video inputs and Navigation unit operate together?

Hi.

If someone out there has a GM nav/dvd/touch screen unit installed with a rear LCD and rear entertainment console, then you can help me.

I replaced my dash CD/DVD player head unit with a GM Nav/DVD touch screen unit. I have a roof mounted LCD screen with no input jacks. Prior to replacing my head unit I was able to use the rear A/V input jacks on the rear console to watch video on the rear LCD. I was also able to play a CD in the dash unit and listen to it on the front speakers at the same time this was going on.

Now since I installed the Nav/DVD unit, I am only able to view the DVD that is in the dash on the rear LCD even though the source input on the rear console says rear input. The stranger thing is that when i eject the DVD from the dash unit, the video from the rear input is now displayed on the rear LCD. I can even select Aux on the dash display to view the same video source.

It seems to me that I should be able to be in park and watch a DVD on the dash unit while my kids use the rear "entertainment" a/v inputs to play a video game on the rear LCD.

I returned my Tahoe to the GM tech whom reviewed the Tech II calibration settings for the radio and rear console and said that everything is up to date and looks correct.

If someone with the same factory setup would tell me if the way I think it should work is correct, then please let me know. Better yet, if someone has a fix for this problem, then please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 8:04 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default display

I have an 09 with what you put in... i can put in a DVD in the front, and both screens play in park, rear only in drive.

i dont recall without looking if it has RCAs in, in the back... as I don't sit there lol.

I'd love to test it for you; but I dont think I have anything that has RCA outs.... hmmm... sorry I cant help more, what about the manual?

I haven't even unboxed the rear headphones because I have no kids... so they will sit in the back w/the remote until I can find a place for them I guess...

I do have one complaint about my 09 vs my 95... THERE ARE NO CUBBY HOLES. where the heck do you put the stuff you need in a car?.... there is no storage...

is the 2nd row center console a GM thing or after market only? if its a GM thing I might get it... I also need to lookup that guy that made the cover for the removable seats in the back... get some instructions on that... create flat back end with maybe a divider or something
Old May 4th, 2009, 9:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
I have an 09 with what you put in... i can put in a DVD in the front, and both screens play in park, rear only in drive.

i dont recall without looking if it has RCAs in, in the back... as I don't sit there lol.

I'd love to test it for you; but I dont think I have anything that has RCA outs.... hmmm... sorry I cant help more, what about the manual?

I haven't even unboxed the rear headphones because I have no kids... so they will sit in the back w/the remote until I can find a place for them I guess...

I do have one complaint about my 09 vs my 95... THERE ARE NO CUBBY HOLES. where the heck do you put the stuff you need in a car?.... there is no storage...

is the 2nd row center console a GM thing or after market only? if its a GM thing I might get it... I also need to lookup that guy that made the cover for the removable seats in the back... get some instructions on that... create flat back end with maybe a divider or something
Storage is weak in the new, I agree. My Tahoe has the electric release for the second row seats. The hardware for this takes up all the space under the second row. I used to store so much under there in my 01 Tahoe. Also, the length of the back end when the 2nd row is folded down is not as long as my 01.
Old May 4th, 2009, 11:45 AM
CF Addict

Default storage

I have the power flippy seats too, i dont know why they need to be power, but whatever...

yea my 95, I could fit a ton of crap under the back seat...

I found the weathertech matt for the back $112 w/shipping so maybe, if i need it...

the manual on the DVD system is sparse to say the least... it took me 3 days to figure out the voice command button for the phone and the navigation are TWO different buttons! (WHY?!)
Old May 7th, 2009, 9:00 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl

Both. I got an aftermarket one because the GM was a little pricey. I use a small Craftsman tool bag for my tools, trailer stuff, etc and just keep it in the back.

The RCAs are in the back of the front console along with the other rear seat controls.

You really need to get in this truck and check it out.
Old May 8th, 2009, 7:43 AM
CF Addict

Default use

lol,I bought a 2009 with 6 miles on it, new off the lot, and I've driven it 3 times in the now 2 weeks that I've owned it.

I kinda like my old one...

I will drive my 1995 till its sold... the 09 just sits in the driveway...

why play bumper cars at 8 AM in traffic with a brand new one when I don't have to?

Don't get me wrong, i love the new one... I got 21.6 MPG on a 100 mile trip last sunday, but for driving to work... and for parking at work... I like the old one
Old May 9th, 2009, 4:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Default Still need your help

Originally Posted by MontanaMike
Hi.

If someone out there has a GM nav/dvd/touch screen unit installed with a rear LCD and rear entertainment console, then you can help me.

I replaced my dash CD/DVD player head unit with a GM Nav/DVD touch screen unit. I have a roof mounted LCD screen with no input jacks. Prior to replacing my head unit I was able to use the rear A/V input jacks on the rear console to watch video on the rear LCD. I was also able to play a CD in the dash unit and listen to it on the front speakers at the same time this was going on.

Now since I installed the Nav/DVD unit, I am only able to view the DVD that is in the dash on the rear LCD even though the source input on the rear console says rear input. The stranger thing is that when i eject the DVD from the dash unit, the video from the rear input is now displayed on the rear LCD. I can even select Aux on the dash display to view the same video source.

It seems to me that I should be able to be in park and watch a DVD on the dash unit while my kids use the rear "entertainment" a/v inputs to play a video game on the rear LCD.

I returned my Tahoe to the GM tech whom reviewed the Tech II calibration settings for the radio and rear console and said that everything is up to date and looks correct.

If someone with the same factory setup would tell me if the way I think it should work is correct, then please let me know. Better yet, if someone has a fix for this problem, then please help me out.

Thanks in advance.
I am still looking for some feedback on this issue. Thank you.