Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How much play is acceptable in drive shaft to rear end?

Search this Thread

Old October 26th, 2010, 11:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much play is acceptable in drive shaft to rear end?

I brought my truck to a buddy who owns a performance shop and does an occasional tranny rebuild and he said he thought that the less than an 3 minutes of the travel on the drive shaft was too much before engaging the wheels. We drained the oil in the rear end and didn't see any metal flake. Pulled the rear cover and the only slop I saw was at the metal dowel like pins going horizontal into the posi or at least looking like they were heading that way. They were near the middle of the punkin but not being a rear end expert and neither me or my friend were sure. He thought it had too much play but I wasn't so sure as it has play but it also has 120,000 miles. Any good aftermarket suppliers for rebuilt or decently priced replacement rear end parts in case?

Thanks... Gary
Old October 27th, 2010, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a lot of looking on the web and noticed that this is one question that no one ever answers on any forum. Usually there will be 2 or 3 other guys post asking that someone answer the question but you hardly see any kind of answer. I did see one video once but it was inconclusive since no one knew if the play was excessive.

Anyone out there???

Thanks.. Gary