Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

How to remove 07 FACORY GRILLE?? HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2007, 11:57 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: How to remove 07 FACORY GRILLE?? HELP PLEASE

It is very hard to tell in the pictures. It is so shiny and no flash! The pictures done do justice! I promise, it is 100% better. It fits better, the bars look better, you can tell it is more quality. It is also more recessed, which isnt visible in the pictures. Yes it still has the emblem cutout but it fits like it should, hard to tell in the pictures. I am very, very happy with it. I promise Shark you would like it much better also.

The bar thickness is the biggest thing I was looking for. It almost looks completely closed from a distance. Also, when close up you dont see the nasty stock grille through the billet grille any longer. But I can tell you it is a chore to install a cutuout style! But well worth it.

Old Grille Pic 1.

New Grille

New Grille Pic 2

Old January 25th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Did you happen to discover what those tabs that come from the honeycomb and go into the grill surround were for?

Thanks for the before & after.
Old January 25th, 2007, 12:42 AM
CF Addict

The metal tabs you see all along the back edge of the grilles are what holds the honey comb onto the chrome sections. You do nothing with those, leave them as they are.

ON the top section of the grille on each side you will see a chrome looking tab on the backside. One on each left and right towards the top of each side. If you look you will see a metal locking tab. You have to get that removed! To do so I took a putty knife through the front of the grille, inbetween the chrome grille surround and the white front grille section. You can slide it in and pop those clips off, it is a pain but you will eventually get it. Then, you will need to remove the factory grille emblem!

All that is remaining are little raised plastic pieces around the edges. You wont see them, you can feel them. If you run your fingers along the top and bottom of each section you will feel them. You will jsut feel a raised tab, they are white plastic (yours will probably body paint color). You will need to push those down while at the same time push out on that portion of the grille so they dont pop back in and lock. It is kind of tricky. Just work you way all around each piece and it will eventually come out. You will have to use some force and it will feel like you are going to break the entire grille!

All and all once I knew what had to be removed, and what didnt it wasnt bad. I wasnt sure what HAD to be removed and loosened so I didnt want to break anything. So in short:

Remove 6 10MM nuts on top of grille.
Remove factory botwie.
Remove locking clips from each side of the top section of the grille!
Push out all plastic tabs around the border/edge of the top and bottom sections. Pull, tug, yank, cuss, and tug some more and it will eventually come out.

Sounds easy, but it is a pain in the ****. The lack of hand/arm room and not being able to see doesnt help anything. It is well worth it and I am very happy I did it. I will guarantee you will be glad you no longer have an overlay if you do it.
Old January 27th, 2007, 4:41 PM
CF Addict

It finally was a little warmer and wasnt snowing or icing today. I was vacuuming my garage and thought since I had the Tahoe outside I would get some more pictures of the new grille I installed. Pictures still dont do it justice! I love it!

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/050F0EDFCB8F4121A2A404EB2425DAD0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/53D7694858B7450D9EFC5F0FFA26E7F0.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/08C03C6F828847908400D417188C61BB.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/8103BDCFD85941D9B9DCB7611FD8F3C4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3431/9FED33AD689349A9B2ECAA321CF53DB2.jpg[/IMG]
Old January 27th, 2007, 4:56 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The last one shows it the best. The others have some digital artifacts I guess due to the horizontal lines.

Looks good! Would like to see it if you are ever in KC area.

You didn't clear your tag numbers.
Old January 29th, 2007, 9:13 PM
CF Addict

I know you guys are going to think I am going mad. However, I am ready to sell my Precision Design Phat Grille that I just purchased and installed. Nothing wrong with it, actually i love it. However, I am going with the street scenes bumper. Therefore I want my top grille section to match.

I will sell the Phat billet very reasonable! In fact, if you guys dont want to mess with having to cutout the honeycomb I will just ship my entire grille to you. Obviously you have to ship me your factory one in return! Just let me know if you guys are interested. I just paid 140-150 for the phat billet grille. Make me an offer! Thanks, Landon.

SHARK??????????????

SOLD 1/30/07!