Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I know it's wrong but...

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2010, 10:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyO
OK here is the deal, i recently purchased a 99 K1500 burb used off craigslist.
Today during lunch I get a service engine soon light and stopped into autozone. codes show that the Catalytic converters are shot.
It has always idled a little rough so that might be caused by a plugged cat right?

long story short, i'm broke and have no real recourse besides idle threats.

"Since i'm not sure of the legality here, lets just call this a theoretical discussion"

Can I GUT the catalytic converter? Remove it, stab a pipe through it and re-attach? will this mess with the O2 sensors? Will the SES light go off after a while of driving it gutted? any other thoughts for a really cheap way of getting past this? Will it pass inspection in New York after gutting?

I have a cheap-o HF welder so welding is not a problem

Thanks
Well if you live upstate they wont do the inspection with the SES light on. Automatic fail. If you live in NYC or LI, you wont pass the tailpipe test with the cats out. But on the other hand you can pay a guy like $100-150 or something and he ll put his car on the machine for that part of the test and give you the sticker for your windshield. If you re going to go through all of that maybe it d be better to either replace the O2 sensors or the cats. Otherwise, pull out the instrument cluster and remove the SES bulb.

And the rough idling could be a lot of things, poor fuel/clogged filter/weak pump, bad coil/bad, wrong, old, contaminated plugs/wires, vacuum leak, water in the chamber, etc.
Old October 7th, 2010, 11:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDaddyO
OK, i dug out the printout that autozone gave me.

Definition
Catalyst efficiency low-bank 2

Explanation
The oxygen sensor monitors the Catalytic converters ability to store oxygen

Probable causes
1. Catalytic converter defective (failure possibly due to #2,3, or 4)
2. Engine misfire or running condition
3. Large vacuum leak
4. Engine oil leakage into exhaust-valve guide seals, piston rings

i'm pretty sure it's not #2 since there have been no misfires and it runs fine.
How would I check for #3? are there other things that would have problem with a vacuum leak?
How would I check for #4?

Thanks
2. y 3.=rough idle
4. blue smoke in the exhaust.

Doesnt sound like a bad cat to me. It sounds like your rough idle is giving the O2 sensor a bad read. You need to find out why you have a rough idle. Vacuum leak or misfire is the direction you need to go in.
Old October 8th, 2010, 6:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How hard is it to replace vacuum lines? should I just get a roll of Vacuum line and just replace every line I can find since I'll be inspecting them all anyway?

on a side note, The SES light turned off 2 days ago and hasn't been on since... weird.

It finally stopped raining so I should be able to actually do something this weekend.
Old October 8th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Active Member

yes you are correct, air is less dense the higher you go, im sorry, so i guess that just means that you might have another indication, if its running lean then then the computer thinks your at a higher elevation, if its running rich then it thinks your at a lower elevation, i know this was a factor for me and i was running extremely rich, and i live in louisiana and we are way below sea level
yes i supposed sometimes ill have a wire or two loose in my brain, thanks for the correction
Old October 8th, 2010, 9:31 AM
CF Active Member

i would do a complete check on your vacuum lines before you consider just replacing them all because it might not even be a vacuum broblem, it might be just a small replacable section or it could just be a piece of the hose coming disconnected