Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

I need some advice on buying a 87 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2012, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice on buying a 87 Suburban

I've been looking for a 80's-1991 Suburban with the rear tailgate for a while. I looked at one today and I need some help with a few issues I noted. It's a non-lifted 1987 350, 144, 000 miles (he thinks its the original motor) factory block heater, new Les Schwabs A/T tires, third row seat and it seems like all the electrical works. After cold starting it and letting it warm up there was a small leak coming from the oil filter. I couldn't pin point the leak but is this a issue with this year burb? I'm hoping it's just a lack of a oil filter gasket or a doubled up gasket. He's asking $2500 I got him down to 2100 but my absolute max is $2000 per the book keeper (AKA the wifey). The owner also feels a little like a car salesman but not much I can do about that. The body is in good condition for the age, the only rust seems to be the raised sections on the roof.

Are there any other issues or bugs I should be looking for in this era Burb?

Thanks
RB
Old May 11th, 2012, 9:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

25 years old, not much to be concerned about. I think its a nice truck no matter what ESPECIALLY IF IT ISNT RUSTED OUT.
Old May 11th, 2012, 11:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well ac is likely old system... thats $ to either get rid of it or fix it, so theres the last hundy you need him to knock off... the oil leak depending on your definition of small may not be a big deal, that old a motor, that many miles, they leak sometimes, but beyond a cracked block, it should be fairly easily repaired. the only other exception that comes to mind is if someone buggered up the oil filter threads or seal, but dropping the oil filter will let you see if thats the case.

rust would be the other big thing to look for, and if there ain't much of that well... your call.

if all the electrical seems solid then it sounds like a decent buy.

:chug:
Old June 9th, 2012, 5:49 AM
CF Beginner

Did you buy it? Doubt its a double gasket because if it was it would be pouring out. My 88 'Burbs had a leaking freeze plug that was running off the oil filter. One mod I did do was to raise the center console 3 1/2 inches and install a power inverter and amp. Really no place to install amp and not be in the way. Can be installed under 2nd seat but won't fold down all the way if you do. At work so I can't post pictures of raised console. If you do, L brackets at any hardware store will work, buy 2 for each corner, bolt together, add a few bolts and clips, and you got plenty of room. Add power inverter and amp bolted to bottom of brackets with flat stock and your good to go. As long as holes in floor are not stripped out, console will stay nice and tight on brackets. I could write a book on the upgrades I did to mine, cooling, performance, updating, stereo system. If interested, pm me and we'll talk. Rick.
Old August 10th, 2012, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Sorry about the long delay, I did buy the 87 V10 . I immediately had to have someone replace the intake manifold gasket and tighten up the steer wheel (it was loose near the steering knuckle). So far I love the rig one suprise I did find while changing the tranny fluid and filter is that I have a Turbo 400 tranny instead of a 700R4, I totally misses this when I was buying it, the only that sucks is that I'm lucky to get 10 MPG out of the beast.

One question, I was told that I could remove the Cat from the exhaust and replace it with a straight pipe and not only gain a little more MPG but also a little more power. Is this true and if so is there a decend vendor to order the straight pipe from? Thanks
Old August 11th, 2012, 12:14 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xrsurfguy
Sorry about the long delay, I did buy the 87 V10 . I immediately had to have someone replace the intake manifold gasket and tighten up the steer wheel (it was loose near the steering knuckle). So far I love the rig one suprise I did find while changing the tranny fluid and filter is that I have a Turbo 400 tranny instead of a 700R4, I totally misses this when I was buying it, the only that sucks is that I'm lucky to get 10 MPG out of the beast.

One question, I was told that I could remove the Cat from the exhaust and replace it with a straight pipe and not only gain a little more MPG but also a little more power. Is this true and if so is there a decend vendor to order the straight pipe from? Thanks
You can but depending on your state and how strict they are I wouldn't advertise it. easiest solution to the cat delete is flex pipe from a parts store, they also sell short chunks and adapters, you could fit one together to take up the space the cat was. you will need to find the outside diameter and inside diameter of the existing pipe you'll be hooking up to.

v-10??? what are you talking about willis?

400 tranny isn't bad cept for fuel mileage. they are pretty well bullet proof. you could easily swap in a 700r4 if you want.

true dual exhaust would give you a bit more hp and econ. if your real motivated to do it.

:chug: