Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban Stranded

Search this Thread

Old June 18th, 2011, 11:09 AM
JBC
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Suburban Stranded

I have a 2002 Suburban and the engine just stopped dead at a stop light. I was sure it was a fuel pump. So, I had a friend help me tow it back to my garage and I replaced the fuel pump. I will post pictures of that process later.

It did not fix the problem. Any other suggestions? I checked the fuse for the fuel pump by switching it with another fuse for a system that I know works. Still did not fix the problem.

The engine was running just fine, all systems go when the engine just simply cut off.

It just cranks until the battery dies.

Thanks,
JBC
Old June 18th, 2011, 10:00 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Have you checked the fuel pressure? Any codes?
Old June 19th, 2011, 1:00 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know I had my cluster bouncing all around I'd hit a bump and the cluster would doink out, I let it slide a bit then it got to where the truck was shutting off and not wanting to refire... pulled the dash out and ran new grounds and cluster works and no more mysterious shutting down...

may want to check grounds, at the battery, and the ground strap at the back of the motor.

:chug:
Old June 19th, 2011, 8:22 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Fuel pressure, getting spark, answer those 2 questions and we can have a better idea of where to start....
Old June 20th, 2011, 7:36 PM
CF Junior Member

I had a similar problem in my driveway one morning. It would crank over and over and try to start but nothing happened.

I had it towed to the mechanic as I thought it was the fuel pump as well but it turned out to be a bad distributor cap (!). Cheap fix and my mechanic did an engine flush / oil change too since he thought there was too much gas in the oil.
Old June 25th, 2011, 4:30 PM
JBC
CF Beginner

Gents,

Sorry, long week at the real office. Fun in the garage had to stop. Anyway, I put a spark tester between the spark plug and the wire and no spark. Concern is that I do not think I here the fuel pump when I turn the key to ON either.

JBC
Old June 25th, 2011, 4:33 PM
JBC
CF Beginner

I just checked another plug on the other side of the engine and that is two without a spark. Have not check all eight but two of eight have no spark.
Old June 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
JBC
CF Beginner

Hicksvilleshick,

Checked all the mentioned grounds and all good. I do not have codes nor a cel when the key is turned to ON. Does the car have to be running for the cel and code to manifest?

I put on the ODBII reader, push scan and nothing comes up.

Camshaft position indicator?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM
JBC
CF Beginner

Gents,

I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and cranked the engine but no pressure - zero. I also checked the spark - no spark.

So, you driving down the road in a perfectly running Chevy Suburban with a history of problems and the engine shuts down.

Any ideas?
Old July 2nd, 2011, 1:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JBC
Gents,

I put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel rail and cranked the engine but no pressure - zero. I also checked the spark - no spark.

So, you driving down the road in a perfectly running Chevy Suburban with a history of problems and the engine shuts down.

Any ideas?

so you've got no spark and no fuel pressure... all I could tell you is it seems to be in the wiring between the battery and them, OR, you had a fuel pump AND distributor/coil/module go out...

sorry I'm not familar enough with that model year to know what relays or fuses might cause that effect locations or what they are tagged... I'm sure there are some of those you could check somehow.

Edit: has it ran at all since you put the new fuel pump in?

:chug:

Quick Reply: 2002 Suburban Stranded