Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

iConnect for iPod and 07' GM's

Search this Thread

Old December 23rd, 2006, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: iConnect for iPod and 07' GM's

Couple questions do you have toturn the ipod on everytime you want to listen to it or do you leave it connected andon. Does it charge the ipod or do you have to plug it into a plug. Does it turn off when you turn off the car. or do you have to manually turn off the ipod. After reading your post I Just went and bought a 30gb black ipod from bestbuy for $250 for myself for christmas. And were did you get your iconnect from. Good install notes.. Thanks
Old December 24th, 2006, 12:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Read the very first post in this thread, look at ALL of the links, and it should answer all of your questions. Post 3 will tell you the price. It shuts off with the car, and it does charge it.

I'll have more to report later on tonight or tomorrow on how it does in the car. So far so good though. You just have to set up a playlist for every single album you have in order for it to show up on your head-unit. I'll take pictures also, maybe even some video.
Old December 24th, 2006, 1:45 AM
CF Beginner

Hey TMW thanks for the help im setting my playlist on my ipod tonight. All I was worred about was that the ipod does not turn off bye itself so therefor if the car is off and not charging the ipod then will drain its battery unless the iconnect is really smart and turns the ipod off and on. I read all the specs and all it says that it charges the ipod. Try to turn off the car and look at the ipod and see if it turns off. If it does than this is a really cool product, if not then the ipod is going to stay on until the batteries dies. I hope I didnt confuse you..
Old December 24th, 2006, 4:24 AM
CF Senior Member

No, I wasn't confused at all. I read up on it before I made the purchase, as I had many of the same questions. So far it seems to be doing what it's supposed to be doing only where the power is concerned.

The bad thing about getting a product that is so new, is you have to roll with the bugs in the beginning. I have to say that the instructions that come with the iConnect don't help at all. The instructions and the operating manual don't show or say anything about the navigation head-unit. All of the pictures are of the base model head-units. As I said in a previous post, the install instructions didn't even match up with the unit. I only got it working by playing around with different dip switch variations. So I'm not even sure that the module is set up with the right dip switch settings and that may be why everything isn't working properly.

Here's what's going on with it. Now we're obviously used to having all kinds of options on the iPod, like sorting by album, or artist, etc. The iConnect is limited to only playlists which is acceptable considering what it does is pretty amazing technology. So I made a playlist for each album that I wanted to be able to scroll on the head-unit. So you're basically making each one of your albums it's own playlist, naming that playlist the name of the album. (Hope that makes sense.) Well I made 250 playlists (albums) and the iConnect is only seeing like 10 or so of them. So either something isn't set up right like I said with the dip switches or there is only a limited number of playlists the iConnect will allow. The only way to find this out would be to call Smart Park in Orange County, CA- but wait, they don't ever answer their phones or email. Chances are I'll wait until after the holidays, call JP Customs and have them get all of the info since they're selling the unit. Hopefully they'll be able to get updated literature from the company as well.

So the trials will continue tomorrow.
Old December 24th, 2006, 3:32 PM
CF Junior Member

I have a quick question do you have to have the lockpic for the it to work. I also would like to know can you control the controls from the steering wheel.
Thank you,
Happy Holidays
D
Old December 24th, 2006, 3:40 PM
CF Senior Member

One has nothing to do with the other. The GMLockPick and the iConnect that is. So yes the iConnect will work without the GMLockPick, BUT you probably want to get it as it allows you to be able to scroll through XM catagories/iPod playlists while in motion. That means if you're driving down the road at 100 miles per hour, you don't have to pull over and stop just to scroll through your playlists. And yes the steering wheel controls work as well.

Just so everyone on the forum is clear. You don't have full iPod controls with your head-unit. What I mean by that is don't think that you're going to see everything on your head unit that you see on the iPod screen. It doesn't work like that. It only gives you a songs folder and playlists folders. That's it.
Old December 26th, 2006, 3:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great info!!! Another item for my to do list.
Old December 26th, 2006, 3:36 PM
CF Senior Member

Yeah, the only thing is, if the iConnect can't handle unlimited playlists, it's kinda' pointless. It sucks to have 8000-10000 all in one folder. Might as well just listen to XM.
Old December 30th, 2006, 3:37 AM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: engine2

Great info!!! Another item for my to do list.
Make sure to read this entire thread first: https://chevroletforum.com/fb.asp?m=16709
Old January 8th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Howdy guys,

I'm new to this forum but i am always on Diesel Place. I got my hands on the GM Lan version of the iConnect because some idiot on eBay sold me the wrong item. I need one for a 2003-2007 Class 2 radio, not the Lan. They retail for something like 300+ from what the owner of SmartPark told me. I'm just looking to re-coupe my $150 i paid for the unit. I probaby won't be checking ym PM's often so shoot me an email at BlizzardMotors@gmail.com

It is a brand new unit, never installed. There are some different opinions on which unit to go with. For $150 this unit is great and nice and cheap. Someone's gotta need it. All the guys on my forum are still with Class2, no Lan stuff yet. Shoot me an email and its yours!! I take paypal.

-- Rick

Quick Reply: iConnect for iPod and 07' GM's