Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Idler and Pitman Arm help

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2011, 9:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Idler and Pitman Arm help

I have a 2004 4wd Tahoe. When I got it in November I noticed a "clunking rattle" coming from under the driver side front end when hitting bumps or rough roads. It wasn't until I had new tires put on last month that we were told that the pitman and idler arms were bad and needed to be replaced. We had them replaced and the clunking rattle stopped! But, as soon as they were replaced, I noticed a metal on metal scrubbing noise from under the front of the veh. usually while turning right, but I couldn't make it do it at will... it was kind of random. I took it back and explained it, they drove it, and of course they "didn't hear it". However, it hasn't done it again since! Now though, after about a month, my clunking rattle is back!!! Personally, I think that when they "didn't hear" the scrubbing noise, that they actually realized that they had screwed something up and just didn't want to tell me about it so they fixed/rigged it and lied. But since I don't know anything about these parts, or even what I am looking for, I don't know how to check behind them. I had an alignment at the same time they replaced the arms and the truck is pulling to the right again also. What do these arms look like? How would they make the clunking rattle noise? and How can I check them myself so I can argue when I take it back up there? Do these arms affect the alignment, or is that because of something else? ( I am a girl- I think they are trying to pull crap over on me) Any help you can offer me would be great!! I'm not a happy customer and I need to at least SOUND like I know what I am talking about, LOL
Old May 19th, 2011, 9:40 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Pitman arm is about seven inches long, with a ball joint connecting to steering arms etc. on one end, other end attached to steering box, the idler arm is on opposite side of the truck attached to chassis but looking similar. Having to have the arm replaced on my Blazer, no noise from it but ball joint is very very loose, didn't know until my garage pointed it out when doing a service. Worn one causes play in steering. Hope this helps.