Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

IMPORTANT - Overlooked maintenance item - stuck spare

Search this Thread

Old July 25th, 2015, 12:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation IMPORTANT - Overlooked maintenance item - stuck spare

'07-'13 model Suburban or Tahoe (maybe other models)
A critical maintenance item that should be done periodically, particularly for high mileage salty climate vehicles is:
INSPECT AND LUBRICATE THE SPARE TIRE SECONDARY LATCH
If you don't know what this is, chances are you haven't been stranded on the side of the road with a flat. If you know what I'm talking about, then you've probably been there done that.
The first time I experienced a seized latch was when my wife called in a frenzy to ask me how the hell the nice gentleman who was helping her with her flat could lower the spare. After about 20 minutes on the phone with the guy (who was mechanically adept) with the manual in my hand, I couldn't coach him to save my life. This is because the secondary latch was seized and no roadside jack or onboard tools could fix the problem.
The latch is very susceptible to corrosion and seizing. This prevents the tire from being lowered.
The only way to lower it is by supporting the stuck wheel by a jack, reaching up under the wheel, and compressing the latch with a large pair of pliers or vise grips.
This is no fun, trust me.
So, prevent this from happening by periodically lowering the spare and lubing the hell out of the secondary latch mechanism.
Doing this will save you (or your spouse) from the inevitable stuck-spare-on-the-side-of-the-highway dilemma.
Here's a YouTube video explaining how to free a stuck spare:
If you're still unclear as to how this poor design is supposed to work and want a little entertainment, this Cajun gentleman explains it in great detail ( in the 25 minute video, he calls the spare the "Tah" ). He also calls it a "Suck spare tire". I think that was intentional:
Old July 25th, 2015, 5:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good info!