Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Incoming calls via onstar cell phone + Nav Traffic

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2010, 11:02 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Incoming calls via onstar cell phone + Nav Traffic

2 questions:

1. I keep getting calls on my Tahoe's cell phone, I don't even know the number, nor have I given it out. I answer and it's always 'ohh, sorry, wrong number'... ok, whatever.

So; how do I disable it? I don't want people calling me. I have never bought minutes for it, how can I just shut it off from incoming calls? Has anyone tested a 911 outgoing call while having 0 minutes on it? It should work, as legally it has to.

2. Does anyone pay for Nav Traffic, if so how much? I paid $400 for lifetime XM, but there is no lifetime for traffic. The area I live in, and a lot of roads around me are actually covered, and I did like it, but i HATE monthly / yearly fees. I use my truck for business as well; is traffic a legit business expense?

thanks.
Old January 26th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

I'd call OnStar to see if they could either turn your number off or at least change it.

Not sure about the Nav traffic.
Old January 26th, 2010, 9:56 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

I believe that OnStar uses Verizon for the cell carrier and I would bet that the cell number assigned to the vehicle is like any cell phone where they assign it any available number, and any available number could also have been one previously used by another user. ( I have this same issue with my kids cell phones)

as for the 911 don't know, I know we went thru that discussion some time back seems like it should thou...
but remember as far as liability and insurance goes... its cheaper if you die...
Old January 27th, 2010, 3:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's very odd. On mine, I also have no avialable minutes, so I tried this experiment. With my AT&T Blackberry, I went out to the truck and turned it on. I disconnected the bluetooth and then dialed the trucks number I got on the On Star card I received when it was new. Everytime I call the truck, it rings twice and then disconnects. No error message, voice recording, nothing. No sounds in the truck to indicate anyone is calling it. It just disconnects as if I hit the "end" button. I would guess that you some available minutes for this work at all, but I guess you're stuck with a call to On Star.

PS: My Nav traffic is bundled with XM, it's about $4.00/month extra.

Last edited by Fast55; January 27th, 2010 at 3:53 PM.
Old January 27th, 2010, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default bluetooth?

Originally Posted by Fast55
That's very odd. On mine, I also have no avialable minutes, so I tried this experiment. With my AT&T Blackberry, I went out to the truck and turned it on. I disconnected the bluetooth and then dialed the trucks number I got on the On Star card I received when it was new. Everytime I call the truck, it rings twice and then disconnects. No error message, voice recording, nothing. No sounds in the truck to indicate anyone is calling it. It just disconnects as if I hit the "end" button. I would guess that you some available minutes for this work at all, but I guess you're stuck with a call to On Star.

PS: My Nav traffic is bundled with XM, it's about $4.00/month extra.
you say you disconnected bluetooth, is your truck blue tooth? is my 07 tahoe capable of bluetooth? i just purchased it and have little experance with this thing.

in2pro mentions verizon. i curantly have a verizon plan, can i use my same number for the truck and my blackberry tour?
Old January 27th, 2010, 10:24 PM
CF Active Member

No, only the '09 and later trucks have bluetooth built in, same as the Nav traffic. Your truck has a phone number associated with it through On Star. it is a dedicated number like your cell phone. I don't know of any way to port your current number to the On Star system in the truck, you have to purchase expensive minutes through them.
Old January 28th, 2010, 7:35 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default In call phone

why does GM think that anyone buying a $30-$60,000 SUV wouldn't already have a cell phone? why am I buying another one I don't really want?
Old January 28th, 2010, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
why does GM think that anyone buying a $30-$60,000 SUV wouldn't already have a cell phone? why am I buying another one I don't really want?
preach on man! i hear ya! does any one use an aftermarket blutooth adaptor in their trucks? how do they work, i would like to stay away from adding an aftermarket screen due to the fack that this is my daily driver, not my show truck.