Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installed Nav, now my Rear Screen doesn't work!!! Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 5th, 2006, 6:59 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Installed Nav, now my Rear Screen doesn't work!!! Help!!!

That is absolutely correct, if you have not had your vehicle into a service center than you will need to get the system mated to your Tahoe and then it should work fine.
Old December 8th, 2006, 9:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm furious....

Well another spectacular professional job by the dealer. I knew this was going to happen.

So I brought the truck to the dealer and dropped it off this morning for them to have all day to do a 30 minute program. At 1pm I got a call asking me what to do again, after leaving specific instructions (not thast I should have to). At 4pm I called to see if it would be ready for a 5pm pickup. Here is how the conversation with the serv ice manager went....

1. He tells me first "you can't do this" "You can't install an aftermarket radio in the vehicle" This is how this started off, need I say any more on how this progresses?
2. Second he tells me you can't b/c the plugs are different, and you have to install an antenna in the roof and they tried to do it for someone before and found this to be the case...
3. I then become very concerned...why? They had the car since 6am. The Nav/DVD/Radio in dash was working FINE when I dropped it off, and as you all know not only did I do this install, the car was 50 yards away from him with a successful install.
4. He then gets frustrated and asks me "Well, I'm not sure what you are trying to do, yet he told me the tech has been working on this all day and "can't get it to take the unit".
5. After explaining again what to do and explaining I spoke to a GM engineer (Dave) about exactly how to do this, he tells me he will call me back...
6. He calls back and asks for the unlock code for the radio b/c he states the programmer was asking for it and that is why it won'[t take the new unit. I explained I bought a new GM product new in original GM box when he asked where I got it. This number I don't have and don't know where to obtain, I thought the unit learns the code when you mate it to the Tech II and Tahoe by the dealer.
7. Finally he tells me that after consulting with GM on the phone, they stated to me "the computer wouldn't take the programming" and GM wouldn't helkp in providing the unlcok pin code.

I'm really torqued. This is exactly what I expected. For some reason in this neck of the woods I find dealer service people to be completely incompetant and unwilling to stray outside "the box" to accomplish something other than regualar warranty work or turn the wrench if you will within their comfort zone. At 5pm they unplugged the unit, parked it outside the dealership and said come pick it up we couldn't do it. Meanwhile, the rest of you guys show up at the dealer without having to go through all this, and an hour later have a programmed unit. Why me?

So I still have a dead rear entertainment system worth 1200 dollars or whatever I paid for it. The radio I bought was new from ebay, an original gm product. Does it need a code to program like they said, and what are they missing. I wish I could do this myself, I really do. Anybody see the problem here besides ignorance and laziness.

What is a tech II and can I obtain one?

[][]
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:05 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

TECH II is what they need to run on your navigation unit!

Tell them to hook the Tech II up to your Tahoe and download the Vehicles VIN information. Then go to their computer, dealerworld. Tell them to go to the service side of dealerworld and upload the VIN information. Then go through the questions and answers! They will have a series of questions to answer. With or without camera, With OUT Y91, What region, Rear dvd, etc.

I am not 100% sure on all this but this is what I was told and told my dealer and I got it done for $70. I am from a smaller town and my guys had NO issues. Sounds to me like they have no clue. Dave/ZX can probably confirm what I have stated, or he might completely over rule my information. Good luck and I hope you get it working.
Old December 8th, 2006, 10:11 PM
CF Addict

Should have added once they are done with the questions on the computer download it to the TECH II device. Then take the TEch II to your Vehicle and download the information to the vehicle.
Old December 8th, 2006, 11:36 PM
CF Junior Member

Gotchya. So, once the Tech II has the current config (lets call it that for a better term) for my VIN, you take it to the mainframe and upload the VIN config from my car to this computer program, dealerworld, Once on this, you can change the options for the config. I would think the only thing to change is type of radio.. Then redownload the new config to the vehicles computer.

Sounds practical to me.

SO let me ask this question... What in the world does the radio security code have anything to do with this process? Does dealerworld or the progreammer (T2) ask for the code when you choose options, I would think it never comes up. There is also a part of me that thinks that once again ignorance might have been covered up by lies, but then again I might be going a bit too far. They claim they werre on the phone with GM, I highly doubt it if they couldn't do this. I just think the best part was when the dealer asked me if the unit in the dash was an aftermarket peiece, and then proceeded to tell me what i did was not possible to do, antennas in ceilings, etc. as the vehicle sat 50 feet from him. When this is all said and done, letters will be written. What they don't know is my cousin is married to the owner's brother. It's time to find a new dealer. Anyway, bear with me as I blow off some steam as I become educated on this process.

Again my thanks to you guys as I continue on this process, I just hope I can get this squared away. It's funny, I bought the new unit for more money so I didn't have to involve the dealer in this process as i iknew that meant nothing but trouble. I don't mean to dump on all dealers, just seems the ones in my area (former Dodge owner, same story) are a bit narrow minded.

If I could when all this is said and done, I'd buy you guys a couple rounds!

I'm anxiously awaiting any info you can provide me.

lg, if you could pm me the name of the dealer you went to and the guy who did it, perhaps I can have him explain this to whoever does this for me next? If you think that is too much, that's cool, just figured I'd ask. Call me desperate, don't care! I AM!

Old December 9th, 2006, 12:48 AM
CF Addict

The dealership that did mine was Riley Chevrolet in Jefferson City, MO. The service manager's name is Danny. I think there number is 634-2324. But I probably wouldnt call them, lol! They wont be the best for advice as we are in a small town and this isnt something they commonly do. Honestly, contact JP customs. They are the ones that I got my voice recognition wires from. They told me 80% of this information. They are awesome and can tell you exactly what you need to do. I think their website is jpcustoms.com.

I dont know what the heck your guys are talking about radio security code. My was in theftlock when i took it in. I bougt mine used off ebay and was removed from another vehicle. Therefore it was in theftlock because my vehicles VIN wasnt registering with the Radio, OOPS this is the wrong vehicle. I guess a safety feature for thiefs.

Anyways, if all you dont have working is the rear dvd they just need to confirm the REAR DVD option when running the tech 2 on the dealer world program. Again, I am not a GM employee and know very little on this subject. But I can tell you this information is out there and I have been told this by many. Dave is going to be one that can be more specific. How far is the next closet Chevrolet dealer? I dont know how they cant figure it out. Like I mentioned my guys are in a small town and I dont think they had done one before mine and it didnt take them long at all. You may look into a new dealership. If they cant figure out how to program an OEM Factory radio to your vehicle, I wouldnt want them to touch my vehicle. Good luck and hopefully the information I have given you will get the job done. If not, Dave or someone is going to have to jump in.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:50 AM
CF Addict

What radio did you have in the vehicle to start with?

What part # radio do you have now, it does end in 66?

The rear dvd is factory also?

Did you install the OEM navigation antenna in the dash?

Lasty, did you wire the voice recognition and speed sensor wires up? Jpcustoms has this item.
Old December 9th, 2006, 2:27 PM
CF Junior Member

I had the regular non-nov radio w/DVD. Factrory Rear Entertainment Screen. I did not buy the harness from JP for the voice recog but did install the lockpick. By the way, I did try the rear screen with and without lockpick and either way it is INOP. I did install the dash antenna and the unit does end in 66.

Here is a little update...

They were succeessful in doing one thing it seems...

SOMEHOW TURNING OFF MY SUBWOOFER!!!!!!

I'm gonna scream.

I have to wait till Monday to talk to these jokesters again, and yes there is a multitude of Chevy Dealers in the area.

I'm wondering how they were able to unlock your radio? I think they were absolutely clueless as to the whole configuration/radio/Tech II thing. I was really concerened when at 4pm the service manager told me I couldn't install an aftermarket radio in the dash, and then told me the installatuion of the delco nav radio was not possible.

When I get my car entertainment system figured out and working properly (now I have 2 components inop instead of 1, thanks to the dealer) I will go out of my way to address this issue with this service department.

Again, thanks man for all your help. I'd be so stuck without you guys.
Old December 11th, 2006, 1:52 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no code needed to unlock when using Tech-2, they just need to program your vehicles module for the new Nav unit.
The dealer simply needs to plug Tech-2 into you data port and download your computer VIN/module calibration(s) into the unit, then take Tech-2 over and connect it to the service programming system (SPS).
There is a menu in the techline information system (TIS) terminal and they just simply follow the instructions and answer the simple questions.

I have found that only about 10-20% of the technicians (that are certified) display a level of competency to accomplish programming, ask the dealer to have their best tech perform the operation, it is extremely easy for someone that knows how to properly use the system, but someone that doesn't know will never get it right.

Find that person.
Old December 11th, 2006, 10:54 PM
CF Junior Member

Well my friends, I found that person. 15 minutes...done. What a relief. I believe as this dealer did that I was lied to by the other dealership and the ridiculous conversation that took place on the phone with the SERVICE MANAGER was just plain insulting. Very poor performance by the major Chevy Dealer in New Haven, CT but I won't name any names ;-) If you don't know what you are doing don't lie or show your ignorance by erroneous comments that are meant to insult the intelligence of the well prepared consumer.

Anyhow, I thank LG and ZX again for their expert opinions as they again saved the day. Also JP Customs had a great amount of advice as well.

Nav/DVD Radio/antenna/manual/cd 1500
Adapters/harnesses 315
Programming 80

Quiet Children in the third row again..... PRICELESS!

Unless anyone has anything else for the good of the order, this case is considered closed.

Quick Reply: Installed Nav, now my Rear Screen doesn't work!!! Help!!!