Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installed Rear Bumper Fascia/Hitch Cover, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2007, 2:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Installed Rear Bumper Fascia/Hitch Cover, what do you think?

Biglg,
I like the hitch cover. I would not worry about the black rubber gasket. If you paint it, it will probably crack even with flex paint.

How does it stay attached to the bumper. I am interested in one, but tow stuff here and there and need easy access. Any special tools needed?
Old January 20th, 2007, 2:22 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Access is easy, seriously 10 seconds to get it on and off. The only tools you need are a drill, 3/8 drill bit, and a marker. They give you a template, i didnt use the template. I took a marker, made note of where the holes were to be drilled, and drilled away. It was simple. It took me less than 10 minutes to slap on. If you get one just let me know if you have questions and i can help you along. the instructions suck. I got a picture of the bracket from TMW, and that was all i needed. I didnt even use the instructions.
Old January 20th, 2007, 2:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great. Thanks Biglg. Will taking the cover on and off as I use my Tahoe for towing strip the hole out (I am assuming screws are used)?
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:08 AM
CF Addict

Nope there arent any screws. Taking it on and off will hurt nothing. Basically the back of the cover has two arms that stick out. You insert the arms into a supplied bracket. Then you just slide the cover to the left and it locks, and to the right to get it off. Very easy, I love it! There is a guy on ebay that sells them. I paid 60+sh for mine.
Old January 20th, 2007, 10:49 AM
CF Veteran

From what I understand you are better off not using the template. I've heard several times that the template will cuase you to install it so it isn't right against the body. It is close enough that you can't redrill to get it right because the holes will be too close.

Any and all... check before you drill!!
Old January 20th, 2007, 11:23 AM
CF Addict

Tahoe07 hit the nail on the head. The template they give you is the biggest piece of ****! Didnt use it, and to all others dont use it.

The way I did it is the plastic bracket you have to install is the same as the template. You are supposed to tape the template to the bumper so you can drill the holes! HOwever, just use the plastic piece. I just held it in place by hand, then took a marker and made note where the holes were. I then took the plasic bracket off and used the 3/8" drill bit and put the holes in. It worked flawlessly!

Here are some pictures provided by TMW. He sent me a picture because I wanted to see how it installed. Trust me, the instructions suck! You dont need them after seeing these pictures. Well I couldnt get the pictures to work. Hopefully he will post them up for us.

Old January 20th, 2007, 1:25 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Flex agent is something you have to add to the paint. Most auto paint stores will take your color and charge into a spray can for you. They will add flex agent to it also if you request it. You might have to buy a quart of paint to do this and a small can/bottle of flex agent to do this. Just think about how many bowties you can paint then.
Old January 20th, 2007, 1:52 PM
davemec

ORIGINAL: biglg

Nope there arent any screws. Taking it on and off will hurt nothing. Basically the back of the cover has two arms that stick out. You insert the arms into a supplied bracket. Then you just slide the cover to the left and it locks, and to the right to get it off. Very easy, I love it! There is a guy on ebay that sells them. I paid 60+sh for mine.
Can you give the eBay seller name or item id so that I can check them out? Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2007, 2:30 PM
CF Addict

mzfree is the user name. Here is my auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...112&rd=1,1

I noticed he had sold them. He lists them starting bid at 60 and buy it now at 70. I emailed him, he listed a white one for me and told me to bid the 60 and he would then end the auction to the current high bidder. Just tell him there is a guy/friend you know that just got a white one from him and tell him what you are looking for. He is a good seller, ships fast, and replies fast! Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. Thanks.
Old January 20th, 2007, 2:45 PM
CF Veteran

found a black used one too...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007-...QQcmdZViewItem

Quick Reply: Installed Rear Bumper Fascia/Hitch Cover, what do you think?