Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installing a second battery....

Search this Thread

Old March 14th, 2007, 2:22 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing a second battery....

I have a 2nd Optima Red Top to install in the vacant battery tray. I'm looking for anyone else who has done this, and was wondering if they could provide a source for the battery cable, hardware, and details.
Old March 14th, 2007, 4:39 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing a second battery....

u need to purchase a isolator, seleniod or a big 200amp relay to have it switch back and forth. then all u need it some power wires, ring terminals, and remote wire. if u have any questions on wiring just let me know.
Old March 14th, 2007, 5:15 PM
CF Active Member

I want to hookthe two batteriesin parallel by tying + to + and ground the negative side. The problem is that I'm having a problem finding battery cable long enough to reach from tray to tray.
Old March 14th, 2007, 6:56 PM
CF Active Member

so go to ur local car audio shop and by 4 guage power wire by the foot.
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:35 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: xclusive

u need to purchase a isolator, seleniod or a big 200amp relay to have it switch back and forth. then all u need it some power wires, ring terminals, and remote wire. if u have any questions on wiring just let me know.
Hey xclusive could you run uselectronicly challengedpeoplethrough how to properly wire in the second battery and if you can list all of thestuff we might need to buy. Thanks
Old March 14th, 2007, 10:53 PM
CF Active Member

first ground out the second battery thenu need to run a power wire to a circuit breaker then a power wire from the outputof thecircuit breaker and connect it to the isolator, selenoid, or relay then connect a power wire from the output of the isolator, selenoid, or relay and run it to the second battery last but not least everything u connect to the 2nd battery should have a fuse or circuit breaker in between.

the power wire used to connect the second battery should be 4 guage.

the relay will also need to be grounded as well. it will also need and accessory wire ran to it. both these wires can be 16 guage.

items need for the install:

ring terminals
4 guage power wire
4 guage ground wire
16 guage wire
isolator, selenoid, or relay (http://www.theinstallbay.com/product...ual.php?id=907)
circuit breaker or fuse holder (circuit breakers just makes it easier) (http://www.theinstallbay.com/product...ual.php?id=876)

PS- I'm not responsible for any damage causedby this. This is merely an example andexplanation of how I connectedmy second battery.
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks xclusive
Old March 15th, 2007, 9:16 AM
CF Active Member

In my situation, I want the second battery to be in the circuit all of the time. If you hook two 12V batteries in parallel (+ to + and - to -) you get 12V with double the current. I don't want an isolator or relays. This setup is common in diesel trucks where a lot of current is required for glow plugs or grid heaters. I'm pretty surethe alternator is capable of charging the two batteries at once. I need the same gauge wire that comes off the existing battery. Is that 00?
Old March 15th, 2007, 4:11 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If that's what you need to do, just go buy two new battery cables long enough to connect the two batteries. Then cut off the ring connector and install another battery connector in its place on each cable.
Old March 15th, 2007, 6:42 PM
CF Active Member

....and therein lie the problem. I can't find battery cables or wire long enough. I can attach the battery clamps on the ends if I could find cable. I'm tempted to use a set of jumper cables for the wire, but I hate cannabilizing a perfectly good set of jumpers. Also, still trying to determine the gauge of "battery cables".

Quick Reply: Installing a second battery....