Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Installing Wiper refills on 2007 Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2011, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Wiper refills on 2007 Suburban

I just purchased a pre-owned 07 LTZ Suburban and I have a bad wiper blade,(worn rubber). I, like many who have posted, am trying to beat the extortion price the dealers want for new blades. I've read the discussion dated Jan 2007 which discusses replacing just the rubber on an existing wiper blade with the rubber from a generic replacement. I am trying to remove the plastic cap on the end, but it won't come off easily. The post discussing it said it had photos, but they didn't show. Can anyone tell me how to get the end cap off? Thanks.
Old January 30th, 2011, 7:06 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Replacement blades are about $1 per inch, I know not cheap but if you get the replacement assemblies your done in about 10min...$40 bucks and your done for a year or two....
Old January 30th, 2011, 9:16 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

They are available in the aftermarket albeit not much cheaper.

As I recall, the tips just pry off. I did discover that the OEM blades in this area would last about two years if you kept them clean (wipe them down w/ rubbing alcohol). Streaking is usually caused by bug guts stuck to the bottom edge of the blade. Most recent replacements I've found were only good for about six months.

FWIW GM changed back to the old style arms in '08 or '09 or '10. Not sure when. But they use a similar style blade.
Old February 1st, 2011, 7:58 PM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rzimm1
I just purchased a pre-owned 07 LTZ Suburban and I have a bad wiper blade,(worn rubber). I, like many who have posted, am trying to beat the extortion price the dealers want for new blades. I've read the discussion dated Jan 2007 which discusses replacing just the rubber on an existing wiper blade with the rubber from a generic replacement. I am trying to remove the plastic cap on the end, but it won't come off easily. The post discussing it said it had photos, but they didn't show. Can anyone tell me how to get the end cap off? Thanks.
I just purchased the Rain-X Latitudes the other day for my '07 Tahoe LT. They were about $18.00 a piece at Walmart, but I had them unpackaged and on in less than 10 minutes. The wipers came with several different adapters. The wiper blade arms on my Tahoe are the I&L Arms.

I always just replace the wipers on our vehicles. It is much cheaper and I know it is done right. I was actually surprised how easily it was to replace them on the Tahoe! Actually, this was the easiest wiper replacement I have ever done.

As for replacing just the rubber I can't be of much help. If I were you I would just replace the entire wiper. There are a lot of wiper choices out there and you can find some fairly decent ones for a lot less then some may think.
Old February 1st, 2011, 10:06 PM
Administrator

The only problem w/ most, if not all, of the aftermarket blades is they stand taller than the OEM blades due to the adapter.

Haven't checked recently but I bought OEM blades from the parts dept for $20 ea.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 8:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the kind words all. Misery loves company i guess. Actually I bought a pair of generic in the yellow and blue package, (forgot the brand) and tried the poster's suggestion to pry off the end cap and swap out the rubber. The metal strips in the oem were a bear to get into the rubber blades from the new ones. I never could get the metal pieces and blade back together. The metal blades were very curved. It was so F'ing hard I threw the entire bunch in the trash and went to the local used-to-be a Chevy dealer parts dept. and bought 2 new ones. I called first and told them I was with a used car place and got them for wholesale, $21 each - $31 retail. Youch!!! Ice and snow forecast so I didn't want to be without wipers or scratching my windshield when the jerry-rigged blades fall apart.
This part of the new American business ethic, "get em with add-ons or junk fees!" Shops supplies on an auto repair bill. Dominio's pizza with a delivery charge on top of the pizza cost for a delivery pizza, etc. Thanks again everyone.
Old February 2nd, 2011, 4:22 PM
Administrator

The real downside to that design arm is the fact that I could not find anyone that made a winter blade that would fit. If I had kept the '07, I would have changed out the arms since the new ones have the old style attachment.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 5:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been super lucky, I bought my 07 back in April of 06' and the rubber is still decent, and they clean decent as well. But I think it might be time to replace them.
Old February 3rd, 2011, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Like I said, the OEM ones were good for at least two years if you kept them clean.