Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Interior noise problem - PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old January 5th, 2007, 10:54 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior noise problem - PLEASE HELP

My Tahoe LS is third day at the dealer. (month old with 1000 miles on it) They are trying to find source of noise that comes from right side of the dashboard. Somwhere inside of it.
It does it while driving abou 40 MPH and accelerating. They hear the noise, but can't find the problem. Thy said that they have contacted GM fo suggestions but had no luck.
Did anybody here experienced the same and had it resolved ? If so please reply so I can tell the delaer what to look for
The noise is like something is resonating under load and certain RPM. Ratling, buzzing, not sure what word to use to describe it.
It will only do it when the vehicle is wamed up.
Just one more thing that is wrong with my Tahoe. Two more trips to service and it will probably qualify for lemon.
Thanks
Old January 5th, 2007, 6:36 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Interior noise problem - PLEASE HELP

Funny you should post this -- I just returned from my dealer after setting up an appointment for next week to troubleshoot 2 annoying interior noises. I have had what sounds like the same engine noise resonating into the interior that you describe. It has only happened twice so far and it is hard to describe but reminds me of something like a baffle or thin metal vibrating at high RPM. My engine noise occurred twice when i punched it in passing gear to accelerate and was very loud where my wife got this strange look on her face asking "what was that!"

My other noise is in the rear tailgate area -- a constant plastic rattle which my wife crawled back and isolated to what she thinks is in the headliner back near the liftgate or rear headliner light assembly.

I couldnt describe the engine noise very well either to my dealer and duplicating it is going to be next to impossible I am sure. In case I DO learn anything new I will make a subsequent post. In short, you are not alone with thisnoise it seems.
Old January 6th, 2007, 3:36 AM
CF Junior Member

I just got a call from the dealer. They did not find exactly what the source of the noise but they say that it is somewhere near the right front fender.
They are having GM engineer come out on Monday to try to find out what the problem is.
Every time they need to try to locate the problem they need to drive it for 15 miles is what they told me. I am sure I will have quite a few extra miles on new Tahoe when I eventualy get it back.
Looks like now they will try to learn what GM screwed up and it just happens to be on my Tahoe. Hope that GM will compensate me for this.Yeah right
Nothing like having new car for 3 weeks and driving rentals (of course no comparable vehicle available), while paying for the new one.
I will post the results what the engineers discovered.
Old January 6th, 2007, 4:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Has is done this since day 1? Also, does it happen everytime at 40mph or just sometimes?
Old January 6th, 2007, 11:21 AM
CF Junior Member

I didn't notice it the very first day when I drove it home from dealer. Second or third day I think when I noticed it.
It will do it close to 40MPH but not when cold. It needs to be warmed up and driven for few miles before it does it.
Will not do it just cruising at 40MPG. Only while accelerating, or when going up hill. The engine need to be under load
Old January 7th, 2007, 1:20 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm sure they've looked at this but there are those metal heat shields on the exhaust manifolds. Maybe a fastener is loose or missing. Just a thought. Hope they find it.
Old January 7th, 2007, 4:35 AM
CF Junior Member

73shark, I would hope they checked it (but you never know these days) I am sure GM engineer wouldn't be too excited if he had to come out to find a loose exhaust heat shield. However it doesn't sound like it anyway. Thanks for your input.
Old January 8th, 2007, 8:16 PM
CF Beginner

It is your torque converter. Not locking up totally. I have mine in for replacement now. Have a tech manually engage the full lock on the torque converter while his computer is hooked up to your 'hoe and another person is driving. When the hear the noise...have them lock it up...noise will stop. Get it done under warranty...its a $1,400 job!! email with questions. tomtorg@adelphia.net
Old January 9th, 2007, 1:23 AM
CF Junior Member

Got call again from dealer. No results. GM engineer will not come out tomorrow but on Wednesday.
Now they have to consult engineers from Detroit.
They do not have a clue what the problem is.

Old January 11th, 2007, 12:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Tomtorg, I spoke to service they are aware of the torque converter problem on some of the Tahoes. They told me that this is something else.
Engineer was out again on wednesday, couldn't fix it. Have no idea what the problem is, comig back Thursday.
My Tahoe is 9th day at service.
GM should just replace the vehicle. I guess customer is not GM's priority when it comes to problems.
Contacting GM customer service seems like a waste of time. They just answer in a way that I should feel somehow honored that they actualy even work on the vehicle at no cost to me and provide rental car.
This is just wrong.

Quick Reply: Interior noise problem - PLEASE HELP