Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Intermittent gauge cluster help!

Search this Thread

Old December 21st, 2022, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermittent gauge cluster help!

2004 Suburban 1500 LS

Like the title says, my gauge cluster works intermittently.. but when it does function it does so almost flawlessly. It seems like I have a wiring issue, but this is the first Chevrolet ive ever owned. I followed a guide on where the ground locations are for the vehicle and I cleaned those up real nicely for living in the Salt state of Minnesota.

this is what my view normally is when I'm driving down the road. Dead. Toast. No information available, not even what gear I'm in. No fuses, relays, or otherwise are bad in this rig HOWEVER I woke up this morning to head to work and THIS happened

and proceeded to function without issue (minus the temp gauge obviously) for 20 miles before failing again.. what in the heck is happening here to cause this?? All fuses are fine. All relays click and clack, the grounds including the one wire to the back of the engine are fine and dandy, the connector for the gauge cluster is fine, no corrosion no nothing. Because of how it either works perfectly or doesn't my experience on Fords says its not the cluster.. but it's a Chevy soo.. yeah. Lemme know what yall think
Old December 22nd, 2022, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very typical problem with these GM clusters. There are surface mount resistors in the cluster that become unsoldered. Resoldering them should fix the problem. Youtube is a good source for how to videos. Or if you aren't comfortable soldering, then these can be repaired $100 / 150. Anti-theft system prevents just swapping out the cluster with another, unless it is reprogrammed. Cheaper to repair existing.
The following users liked this post:
Old Car Guy (December 24th, 2022)