Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

just fixed starter now i have a oil leak?

Search this Thread

Old June 21st, 2011, 3:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question just fixed starter now i have a oil leak?

just took 1999 Tahoe to the shop, the starter bolts shirred off. now they are telling me it is leaking oil, witch it never did before and that i need to check the transmission fluid daily. i don’t want to pay $700 or more just to have more problems. they say something about seals in the transmission leaking, but i never had a problem with it before. all they had to do was replace the starter bolts. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
the engines a 5.7 the Tahoe is 4X4<o></o>
<o> </o>
i think they did something wrong, i don’t know what. i was hoping someone might be able to help me. <o></o>
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:03 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

When you say leaking oil as in engine oil or transmission fluid?
How many miles do you have on the beast?

I had a 1997 2wd and went thru 2 trannys if that tells you any thing..
I never had any oil leaks what so ever...regular oil changes and torquing the oil pan bolts after about 2 years is the key....
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:27 PM
CF Beginner

engine oil leak. they just told me to check the transmission fluid every day.but it neverd had problems like that before. i haven't picked it up yet i was going to have them go back and fix the leak.and tell me where and why its leaking.but i need a seconed opinion, i dont want them under my hood again if this is there doing. what i dont get is it was fine when it went in, just needed starter bolts. we have rebuilt the engine twice.it ran just fine.
it has 135k.. we changed the oil a few months back.
the tahoe is like the family dog but more love...we just want are baby fixed.

Last edited by ghost-wolf; June 21st, 2011 at 8:17 PM.
Old June 21st, 2011, 7:57 PM
Administrator

An engine oil leak that is minor may never show up on your driveway if that is what you meant by not having seen it before...
A small leak hangs on the pan and gets blown away as you drive, the leak is probably more prevalent when the engine is hot and running...
With 200k miles that is not surprising...if its the oil pan then not too big of a deal but most likely its a rear main seal.... fixable but not cheap due to the time and effort involved...one of those if its not too bad you might choose to live with it....
Old June 21st, 2011, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

i don't know how bad the oil leak is.but thank you. i'll look into it.

Last edited by ghost-wolf; June 21st, 2011 at 8:40 PM.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 12:28 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

By starter bolts sheared off, are you talking about the ones that hold the starter on? Just wondering how that would happen.
Old June 22nd, 2011, 1:13 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 73shark
Just wondering how that would happen.
I donno but it sounds ripe for another WT 101 story....
Old June 23rd, 2011, 2:49 AM
CF Beginner

we got to the bottom of it , the gm tech knocked loose the tranny pan gasket when they r&r 'ed the flywheel and starter. , and to 73shark DRRR what other bolts would hold a starter in ?? .... and how it would happen,, well a retarded *** painter figured he was good with an impact gun as well a spray gun and he prolly slammed them in cross threaded cause it cracked the bolt housing in the block too,, woo hooo can we all say SHADE TREE MECHENICS " HAWWK SPITT.. i wanna go kick his ***!!!! anyways that with my wife and i driving threw the backroads and hunting and the offroading mixed with too much torque they sheered off, and yes its the 2 bolts that hold it in,, is there anyother ones HAHAHAHA.....

edit.... im the husband btw.... and it was tranny fluid leaking all along not motor oil..,, i call transmission fluid tranny oil,.. i had my wife a lil confused because i was pissed off at the gm guys and the hussy at the front desk who dont know how to communicate with the mechenics and relay info to the costomer. She told me on the fone it was all ready to pick up BUT theres 3 major leeks in the transmission and i need to check the fluid everyday and add to it.. well.... so after never having a oil leak of any kind in this truck and i mean EVER that includes skidding it threw the mud in the woods and getting it buried dragging it out on wenches this truck is a beast so i knew stright up they screwd up a seal when pulling the fly wheel, BUT HOWEVER!!! when we put it back on a lift tonight we saw the fly wheel dry as a bone no leeks anywhere but from a mashed tranny pan gasket.. there office hussys are horrable there , ...

Last edited by ghost-wolf; June 23rd, 2011 at 3:06 AM.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost-wolf
and to 73shark DRRR what other bolts would hold a starter in ?? .... yes its the 2 bolts that hold it in, is there any other ones HAHAHAHA.....
Well was merely trying to establish for sure what you were talking about. Didn't want to assume what bolts you were talking about.

And why did they have to remove starter and the flex plate (auto trannys don't have a flywheel ) in the first place? Your first post implied that you sheared the bolts off-roading. Now you're saying that the painter did it?

Last edited by 73shark; June 23rd, 2011 at 8:54 PM.
Old June 24th, 2011, 3:20 PM
CF Beginner

im saying an idiot with a impact {the painter ] who offerd to replace my starter when i had my tahoe panted , prolly cross threaded them in with an impact. the offroading helped them to break off inside the housing,, .. eh whatever its fixed no leakes cause i went threw the gm tecs work my self ,and its running like a top again.. and BAAAAA HAHAHA no fly wheel,,, hmm i guess the torque converter holds hands with the crank , ya prolly that right , your a ****ing idiot hahahahah but i sure am glad you discribe your cute lil floor mats and gas door to us all woo hooo niceeeee ,,,, and i also thought ,,, with no flywheel,, what is the starter gonna spin to start the motor?? haha damn it isnt worth picking on you for not knowing **** about **** so just bolt on after market poo on ya hooptie and hope girls get in side buuuuuurrrrpp..

Last edited by ghost-wolf; June 24th, 2011 at 3:23 PM.

Quick Reply: just fixed starter now i have a oil leak?