Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

K quick question about NAV not getting signal

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2007, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K quick question about NAV not getting signal

So I installed the OEM nav using the latest part #, it got a nav signal and most of the things worked...I did not have the JP Customs install harness yet so the turn by turn didnt work nor did the voice rec. So today I got the harness and installed them. Now my turn by turn and voice prompts work BUT my truck wont get a gps signal. it maps address's and gives me the route but the words GPS in the left corner of the screen have a slash threw it, telling me I have no GPS. whats up with that? I drove it for about 20 mins and then left it running in front of my house another 10-15 mins and still has that slash. Also...Before I had pinpointed my address and saved it, well now it shows my address as being about a block away on the map when im sitting in my driveway. Anyway know what the deal is? and yes everything is plugged in correctly, that I am sure of. Thank you.
Old March 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: K quick question about NAV not getting signal

Could be a couple of things...

1. When you re-installed the radio, the cable to the GPS antenna may have gotten disconnected somehow.
2. When you re-installed the radio, the cable to the GPS antenna may have gotten crimped or kinked behind the radio.
3. Make sure that your Tahoe's windshield is facing south ( read that somewhere) with an unobstructed view of the sky. The radio can take some time to aquire a signal. Remember it needs to capture at least 3 satelites to 'triangulate' your position. Usually it will hit 6 or 7.

Good luck!!
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:21 AM
CF Beginner

Nope wires are definately not crimped or kinked. all seems to be perfectly in tact, not bound up anywhere. the vehicle was parked facing south while running for about 10-15 mins. So im not sure thats it either. Maybe it just takes a long time haha. I heard it should take between 2-20 mins tops to register. Well I exceeded that and no luck. [>:]
Old March 16th, 2007, 3:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have metalized tint?
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:08 AM
CF Beginner

The windows have been tinted since the day after I bought the truck and the nav worked then, so I know its not the tint. But anyway thank you guys for the help....On my drive to work this morning it was showing me as being about 2 miles away from where I really was...and it did it all the way to work, a 20 min drive. Then as soon as I pulled on to my street for work, the nav kicked in and started working right. THANK GOODNESS! Thanks again guys
Old March 16th, 2007, 1:22 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

After the power is disconnected from the unit it can take a long time for the unit to reacquire the satellite signal, it is not uncommon for it to take a couple of days depending on where you are and the amount of driving you do.

Oops, I started typing before I read your last post complletely.