Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
View Poll Results: Should I sell my 1996 Sub 4x4 or Keep it?
Sell It!!
25.00%
Keep it and fix everything.
75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Keep or Sale?

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2010, 12:49 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need a vacuum diagram. I have NO clue where all the lines are in order to check them. I'm possibly missing one, or two.

I'll have to research how to check compression. Never done it before.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 4:13 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Rather than filling w/ freon, you need to pull a vacuum and then see it holds thereby telling you if it leaks which saves a lot of money using freon just to have it all leak out.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 4:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

look under hood, on top of grille or radiator support. Sometimes there's a diagram of vacuum lines there. sometimes. chilton's manuals usually have decent ones. compression gauge screws into spark plug hole, not cranked tight, just finger tight, maybe a nudge more. unplug coil wire, pull rest of plugs (easier for motor to turn over) once gauge is hooked up, coil wire unplugged and such, crank motor over about 4 or 5 times. write down cylinder number you're on and reading from gauge. drivers side of motor is odd number, pass. side is even number for cylinder numbering.
Old February 23rd, 2010, 7:52 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

The throttle should be wide open while cranking the engine when doing a compression test.
Old February 24th, 2010, 7:32 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PastorK
I need a vacuum diagram. I have NO clue where all the lines are in order to check them. I'm possibly missing one, or two.

I'll have to research how to check compression. Never done it before.
If you register at autozone.com and add your vehicle, you can see free part diagrams and repair manuals. For your truck, it looks like they have all of the vacuum diagrams. Here is a link to the diagrams. You will need to register first and log in. Then click on the link or paste it into your browser. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008f038
Old February 24th, 2010, 12:36 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by vester
If you register at autozone.com and add your vehicle, you can see free part diagrams and repair manuals. For your truck, it looks like they have all of the vacuum diagrams. Here is a link to the diagrams. You will need to register first and log in. Then click on the link or paste it into your browser. http://www.autozone.com/autozone/rep...00c1528008f038

Thanks for that. I was already registered there, but never knew these diagrams were there. THANK YOU!
Old March 3rd, 2010, 3:32 PM
CF Active Member

Well, I have decided to keep it. Got the A/C fixed today (and only ended up being lack of freon. Pulled a vacuum and it held. The compressor is brand new (I didn't know).

Now just time to fix the other nit picky things. Thanks for the advice and thoughts.
Old March 3rd, 2010, 3:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PastorK
Well, I have decided to keep it. Got the A/C fixed today (and only ended up being lack of freon. Pulled a vacuum and it held. The compressor is brand new (I didn't know).

Now just time to fix the other nit picky things. Thanks for the advice and thoughts.
i'd say youll have a damn good vehicle when you are done with it