Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Keys....

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2007, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Keys....

I just purchased a 1999 Tahoe. The owner lost the door keys. How can I get new keys without re-keying the whole truck? Does GM keep records of keys?
Old April 5th, 2007, 10:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Keys....

Is there a separate key for the doors? I thought the ignition keys worked in the doors too.
Old April 5th, 2007, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

I tried the key in the doors and they did not work. Did the 99 Tahoes use the same key? If so, maybe my locks are screwed up.
Old April 5th, 2007, 1:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Same key on my 99 Suburban. Expensive keys too (built in chip). Try your passenger door, if it works then maybe the drivers door was replaced and not re-keyed or cylinder used from the original. A local locksmith can re-key your door cylinder.
Old April 6th, 2007, 8:12 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Sounds like maybe the ignition lock was replaced and the doors weren't rekeyed. Maybe.[8D]
Old April 9th, 2007, 2:30 PM
CF Junior Member

If the key works in the passenger door, then maybe the lock cylinder or door lock linkage is broken in the driver's door.
Solution - Fix the door lock problem.

If the key does not work in either door, then most likely the original igition lock was replaced, and the owner used the keyless entry to unlock the truck. This sounds like the truck was stolen at one time. The thief probably ripped the ignition cylinder out, and when the new cylinder was put in, it wasn't rekeyed back to the original key.

Possible solutions:
1 - Go to the Chevrolet dealer parts department. The dealer can make a key to fit the door base on the VIN.
2 - Take the lock cylinder out of a door and take it to a locksmith. A decent locksmith can make a key to fit. You will now have two keys, one for the doors and one for the ignition.
3 - Take the lock cylinders from all doors, the locksmith should be able to change them to use the same key as the ignition. One key to do it all, but it won't match the VIN, so a dealer can never make a key, for you or anyone else.
4 - Take the ignition cyclinder out and have it rekeyd to match the door locks.
5 - Ignore the problem and always use the key-fob to unlock the doors. Of course if the battery in the key-fob or in the truck goes dead, you will be SOL.