Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

known problems 03

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2011, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default known problems 03

In reading through some forums I see quite a few people thinking of buying Suburbans asking about any known issues. I just bought an 03 and have had a few issues that I see come up over and over again online.
Pump Rub-Apparently there is an oil pump in the transfer case that commonly rubs holes into the rear half of the case causing the fluid to leak out and trash the transfer case.. Chevy has a bulletin stating whenever one of these cases is opened up for any reason it should be retrofitted with an upgraded part to prevent this.

Instrument panel-The speedo and other instruments fail. I believe Chevy had some sort of recall if you were under a certain mileage, if you were over you're on your own.

Rear hatch glass hinge-The plastic that holds the hinge to the glass breaks and is not repairable. You have to buy new hatch glass. A few years after my 03 I understand Chevy changed the design to stop this from happening

Intermediate Steering Shaft-When making slow turns clunking can be felt in the column. If still under warranty Chevy would lube it, if out of warrenty I understand they tell you to replace it.

Ac/heat blend doors-they commonly stop working.
General AC issues-I see many posts with all sorts of AC issues. Mine had a bad ground which the dealer found and now I have another electrical AC issue.

These are the issues my truck has had. There seems to be quite a few design flaws going on. I also see some people who have 200000 miles on their trucks and have never had any problems...luck of the draw I guess. I really like my Suburban but I am disappointed in seeing the same exact problems pop up with so many people.
I hope this info can help someone looking to buy a used Suburban.