Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Life expectancy of a Suburban

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2013, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chevychick87
I'm thinking of buying a 2004 Suburban with 160,000 miles. it's very clean inside and out, with leather seats, moon roof, dvd, all the extras and dealer is replacing oil pump. any opinions or suggestions?
I know this is a bit old, but you hadn't gotten a reply so thought I'd chime in...

We bought an '05 in similar condition a year ago. Slightly less miles at 135K but it's been a fantastic vehicle. I wouldn't hesitate as long as it checks out mechanically

Now, our '01 burban is a whole other beast. It's pushing 312K miles and we aren't exactly gentle on it
...it's out in the pastures in deep mud and snow on a daily basis. Still running like a champ! I'll be bummed when it finally quits.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:35 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience tells me this:
LS- well maintained will truck on for a long time

LTZ or LT Auto Ride- Trade in at 96,000!!!!! DO NOT GO PAST! At 98,000 SO MANY things have been going wrong with my Suburban! ITS NOT FUNNY! Same with Denial's, and Escalades. (Friends and family have em')
Same with my old Suburban, we only put like 98k on it and the suspensions switches had quit, and the intake gasket broke so it started running like crap. That was right when we bought our 2007 by paying the difference between the 2 suburbans. Then not 2k later the drive shat blew apart on our friends and caused thousands of dollars worth damage to the underside... I would have bought it back and fixed it but was too late.

Newer Suburban, oh boy, heres a list for starters since 96k:
Starter
front left wheel bearing
3 new front rotors
3 new front calipers
new lift gate latch
new air compressor
new rear shocks (soon new front struts)
front left axle shaft (just blew apart this past Sunday, literally)
U-joints
needs new Active Fuel Management lifters
all but 2 of the outlets burned out
oil pan seal is now starting to leak
front diff is starting to leak as well
This has happened since 96k back in 2011, we are at 120k with it now...
Old March 28th, 2013, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Joe, what on earth do you do to your Burb? I have 206k on my 01, and I have never experienced any of these problems. Although I do have the dreaded E-brake/ABS light problem... but nothing mechanical.
Old March 28th, 2013, 11:36 AM
CF Senior Member

Ummm drive it. We tow our 3 boats behind it, heaviest is 5000 total. Do road trips in it. And light off roading on our 200 acres of land. It's a good thing I do all the work or I'd be almost broke having a shop do the work.

Last edited by Joe In NY; March 28th, 2013 at 12:14 PM.
Old March 28th, 2013, 3:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Joe In NY
Ummm drive it. We tow our 3 boats behind it, heaviest is 5000 total. Do road trips in it. And light off roading on our 200 acres of land. It's a good thing I do all the work or I'd be almost broke having a shop do the work.
Wow, I'm real sorry you've had so many problems with your Burb. With any manufacturer, they ALL grow Peaches and Lemons, seems like you got the sour end of it.

Not to rub it in, but, there are literally hundreds of User/Owners right here on this forum which have upward toward 200k miles and more on their rides.
Did you buy your Burb new, or are you fixing someone else's problems ?
Old March 28th, 2013, 7:07 PM
CF Senior Member

We bought it with just under 50k in Feb of 09. Literally the day before we left Texas.

It was his daily driver to work and back every day and they RARELY had the whole family in it. They had 2003 Z71 Suburban that they used for the whole family and road trips. Our Suburban was only a daily driver. And we don't beat on the thing.

It's my wife's car and has already saved her from a bad rear ending. A guy in an older F-150 did 55mph right into the back of the Suburban when it was at a stop light. They guy wanted to pay my wife like $600 or something like that and run. But she called the police, then me, then the insurance. The total bill to repair everything: $3,800.00

I bet that guys insurance wasn't happy.

But back to the main point :P I guess I did get a lemon :/ but its has been a great learning experience for my son lol

Well so long for the next 14~16 hours. We leave for Florida within the next 2 hours.
Old March 29th, 2013, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

Sometimes, daily drivers don't get the "time off" to get things done to them. But, if it were prefect, you wouldn't be getting all this good experience under your belts.

Have a safe Trip.
Old March 29th, 2013, 8:02 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 01 GMC Yukon XL 2500 4x4 that I got 6 years ago and it had 285000 miles on then and was from Alaska. I drove it a year and had to put a fuel pump in it. and local GM stealership did a service bulletin on it for the ABS and crank sensor about a year after that and now the ABS/BRAKE light is on most of the time and the gas gauge does not work but for a truck with 359000 miles is run great ( I have not give it a tune up since I've own it) I do change the oil regularly. I have put brakes on it and this past summer I had to replace the front TC output bearing. It has the 8.1 engine so it's not the best truck on gas but I have pull a SEMI out of a ditch with it. it's a great truck but it is starting to show sighs of wear now. a little rust on the rocker panels.
Old February 4th, 2015, 11:49 PM
CF Beginner

Default Tahoe/Burb life

Originally Posted by highroad
I have a '04 Suburban with 97,000 miles on it. I'm thinking about putting a couple grand into it or selling it and buying new. At what point should I expect to start making major and expensive repairs to my Suburban? What's the life expectancy for a burb?
I own a 2002 Tahoe..Diva my Tahoe just reached 220000+ miles she needs just 1 thing a new catalitic converter. She will be having her undercarriage, control arms ect. Checked so she can get a lift. Im not going over 3" for the lift. Take care of your baby & she will take care of you...by the way Diva will be driving to Canada....
Old February 5th, 2015, 11:04 AM
CF Senior Member

My 2003 Denali had 180K Strong engine, no oil burning , however the pan seal and rear main seal leaked, brakes kinda wonky, Black paint going to pot. WIth about 2000 and my own labor I think it would have gone another 150K easily

Quick Reply: Life expectancy of a Suburban