Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Lockpick: PAC-Audio or Coastal e Tech?

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ousig2408
cool if you get it update on how you like it. It looks like the new version has some nice updates. I like that you can use your DIC menu
Will do. I purchased it yesterday. Stay tuned for a full report.
Old January 20th, 2011, 10:18 AM
CF Beginner

Just installed one in my 09 Burb. Overall I like it -- the only thing I would like would be rear cam in motion for trailers. Technically it's possible, but I'd need to run a wire from the unit all the way to cam itself, which is a bit unrealistic. The site mentions the small box under the passenger seat, but that's gone in 09+ models.
Old January 25th, 2011, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

anyone else have a problem with the GM gen 6 lockpick and still getting turn by turn/traffic advisories audible? I hear my audio fade out, but instead of getting the voice prompt, I hear nothing. Not sure if it's the lockpick or something else.
Old February 9th, 2011, 9:22 AM
CF Beginner

OK, Here's my thoughts on the lockpick gen6

I got to install it last week. In a 2011 Suburban LTZ. The most difficult part of the install (as mentioned in the video) is prying off the wood grain plastic trim panel covering around the radios.

My suggestion (after putting a nice scratch into it) would be to put thick duct tape over the tops on each side, which is there the trickiest prying occurs. This might prevent a scratch.

The rest of tha install is relatively easy, especially since the video gives very good instruction. I also inserted the USB cable and left it behind some plastic where the drivers knee is. This way I can easily pull it out if I have to update.

The location suggested to leave it is good (from the video). Fits nicely right behind the heater controls.

Onto functionality: It works as advertised. I'm only using the NAV and VIDEO function, the rear cam is much too difficult to run a wire all the way back to it. But I don't need that.

I purchased it mainly for the NAV functionality. That works well although there is a 60 second timeout so you should know what you want to enter as it will shut off if you're slow.

One thing I got tripped up on (although it is mentioned in the manual) is the fact that the DVD in motion function disables the GPS navigation.

Therefore if you find the GPS is not updating correctly, go ahead and turn off the DVD in motion. If the DVD in motion is already off and NAV is not working, try toggling the DVD in motion. That worked for me.

AFA customer service/support from Coastaltech, I give them high marks. They responded promptly to all my e-mails for info prior to the sale, and for support (for the NAV issue) after the sale.

I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone looking to buy this unit.
Old February 15th, 2011, 8:49 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great thanks for the update - explain the DVD in motion and NAV again...it sounds like if you have the DVD on the front screen when driving and have the NAV working in the background it may not track accurately?
Old February 15th, 2011, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

great thanks for the update - explain the DVD in motion and NAV again...it sounds like if you have the DVD on the front screen when driving and have the NAV working in the background it may not track accurately?
Nav won't track while DVD in motion is on, unfortunately. Obviously not a huge deal unless you need to quickly switch back (it can take about a minute to start tracking again), or concerned w/ traffic events and turn by turn prompts.
Old February 16th, 2011, 7:24 AM
CF Beginner

The 1 thing that I don't understand is the 60 second timeout on the NAV. I guess there's a good reason for it but it would certainly be nicer without that.
Old February 16th, 2011, 8:28 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlanka
The 1 thing that I don't understand is the 60 second timeout on the NAV. I guess there's a good reason for it but it would certainly be nicer without that.
probably a legal deal to cover themselves since they are basically bypassing a standard safety feature
Old February 16th, 2011, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

probably a legal deal to cover themselves since they are basically bypassing a standard safety feature
Could be that, but I was thinking it's mainly a convenience feature. When you're starting the lockpick Nav in motion, the nav will stop tracking. If you're putting in an address, then you're going to want the nav start tracking, so this saves you the step of having to go in and disable nav in motion for it to start working.
Old February 17th, 2011, 9:22 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I think it just because most folks can only take their eyes off the road for 60 sec. w/o hitting something.

Quick Reply: Lockpick: PAC-Audio or Coastal e Tech?