Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Looking for first SUV.

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2018, 6:59 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used to own a 1995 2 door Tahoe!
Old July 28th, 2018, 8:02 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by KNERD

Well gosh, would you look at that?
Wow, what a blast from the past! So glad you came back on! I guess this has bothered you for the last 18 months, and it took you that long to come up with a retort?

Well, guess what? You're wrong yet again! When you originally posted about the "extended models," it was a post about a 2008 truck. The OP was asking about the term "extended models," and you posted that bogus picture. As said previously, the "extended models" references the Yukon XL and the Suburban.

Here's the original thread where you made the infamous post - CLICK HERE

And here's your post again, just because it's so awesomely wrong....
Originally Posted by KNERD
You know how on some extended cab pickup trucks, instead of four full size doors, they have two full doors, and two half doors which open from the front? Well, there are some Tahoe models like that. So it looks like an extended cab truck, sort of.

For the uninitiated, that's a photoshop job. No such truck even exists.

So now, 18 months later, you post up a picture of a two-door Tahoe (aka Blazer) from the mid 1990s? How is that even relevant when the original question was about an '08? And where are the half doors?

Last edited by intheburbs; July 28th, 2018 at 8:09 PM.
Old April 12th, 2020, 7:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's me again. Occasionally something comes up for sale that's near enough and cheap enough to pique my interest. It's gotta be cheap cus wife is not real enthusiastic about my RV idea.
So here's the thing. Cheap means rust. Question is, is the frame robust enough that I don't need to worry about it or do I need to carefully inspect under the car to make sure the hitch won't fall off?

The vehicle of interest is a 2003 Suburban, RWD, 3.73, Flex fuel 5.3, 190k, $2k OBO. seems to have the important towing stuff. Has had a rebuilt trans installed. There a phantom power drain issue. It don't look too bad in the pictures.
Some codes,GT4, G65, G80, JC4, KG3, KNP,L59,M30,VR4,ZW7.

Hopefully I can look at it without getting the covid19 bug. It kills people my age. We are mostly isolating ourselves.
Old April 13th, 2020, 8:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by johnd393
It's me again. Occasionally something comes up for sale that's near enough and cheap enough to pique my interest. It's gotta be cheap cus wife is not real enthusiastic about my RV idea.
So here's the thing. Cheap means rust. Question is, is the frame robust enough that I don't need to worry about it or do I need to carefully inspect under the car to make sure the hitch won't fall off?

The vehicle of interest is a 2003 Suburban, RWD, 3.73, Flex fuel 5.3, 190k, $2k OBO. seems to have the important towing stuff. Has had a rebuilt trans installed. There a phantom power drain issue. It don't look too bad in the pictures.
Some codes,GT4, G65, G80, JC4, KG3, KNP,L59,M30,VR4,ZW7.

Hopefully I can look at it without getting the covid19 bug. It kills people my age. We are mostly isolating ourselves.
You can do what I have done. I live in GA but have bought the last three trucks and SUV from Texas. Outstanding prices and no rust. My 09 LMM Duramax had a bad upper ball joint and miss matched tires. Easy fix.
Old April 13th, 2020, 9:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

Are you in the salt zone? If so yes rust is a big factor not only on the frame but all the lines underneath. I took my old '99 Yuk to 190k miles when I sold it but had to change every, I mean every line underneath it in the time I had it do to salt corrosion. I'm a snowmobiler. Guy I sold it to ran it another 2 yrs. until frame wouldn't pass PA inspection when spare tire mount framework fell off.
Old April 13th, 2020, 11:10 AM
CF Beginner

Yeah, we're in the serious salt zone. I've looked under some Subs and seen scaly rust on frame parts. I'm not sure how bad bad is. Rusted brake lines seems to be common. The ad for this one says all hard brake lines replaced. Usually when I read ads for SUVs, "new brake lines" is my clue to rust issues. I know there is more than brake lines. Fuel, rear heat & A/C lines could be there.

We only have an emissions check here.

I would think there are rust free vehicles in GA. My commitment to this is not strong enough to go shopping out of state.

This one is just cheap enough, close enough, and equipped nearly exactly how I'd like it, that I need to take a look. Seems like every old and cheap GM SUV I've looked at, with leather seats, has had a torn up drivers seat. Seats look okay in the pictures. Running boards may be hiding rocker rust. There a 2" hole in the rear hatch cus grandma backed up into something.

Hope to see it this afternoon.

Old April 13th, 2020, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

They marked it sold. This has happened before. . An ad on Facebook Marketplace. They are slow to respond to messages, finally get some info, than they can show the car tomorrow, than tomorrow comes and they don't respond to setup a time. I send a followup "Some response would be appropriate". They respond, they're busy and will get back to me. they don't msg again but mark the item sold.
Old April 14th, 2020, 5:14 PM
CF Beginner

There's another with 4WD that don't work. Is there a easy way to quickly diagnose whether it's a serious mechanical problem or some easily replaced switch,sensor, or solenoid actuator?
I've never owned a 4wd vehicle and don't know the first thing about them..
Old April 19th, 2020, 9:01 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The actuator is a common failure, and a breeze to replace. Of course, before buying, I'd want to have it actually in 4wd and drive it a little, to listen for noises. Not sure how to square that, kind of a chicken vs the egg thing. Also, if the 4wd system hasn't been used in a few years, then that's a whole new can of worms - seals, fluid, etc.
Old April 20th, 2020, 11:21 PM
CF Beginner

Tried to look at a Buick Rainier. Seller takes 3 days to respond to message. Provides some answers and another picture after another day. Several messages exchanged. Seller always takes at least a day to respond. Does not respond to message about setting up a visit for a whole day. I tell him to forget it. No further reply. The car is still listed for sale. There's something wrong there. When buying a car from a private seller, it's important to evaluate the seller as well as the car.

Update. the price has been lowered to $1000. I messaged again, but I don't think a sale can happen.
Update:marked sold

Last edited by johnd393; April 22nd, 2020 at 9:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Looking for first SUV.