Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Looking into purchasing used Tahoe, advice appreciated!

Search this Thread

Old January 14th, 2015, 8:35 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking into purchasing used Tahoe, advice appreciated!

I'm looking to purchase a used Chevrolet Tahoe to replace my sick and dying 1989 Ford Econoline 150 van (8-11MPG).

Budget: $2500-3000
What I want/need in the vehicle (in no particular order):
-V8 engine and automatic transmission
-4WD
-Towing hitch
-OBDII (so 1996+)

My budget leaves me in the 1996-1999 sector, with the 5.7L Vortec 350 V8 engine. For better or for worse, because it's famously reliable but also has known issues (intake manifold gaskets, spider injection, etc) also the 4L60E isn't the most reliable transmission supposedly. That said, it's still a fantastic powertrain combo. it is powerful, responsive, and sounds perfect

Anyway, I'll be posting ones here that I find that would fit my requirements for your experienced thoughts and knowledgable opinions.

Let's start with this one. It's a 2hr drive from where I live but it's within budget, looks nice,and has low-ish miles for it's age.
Edit: whoops, forgot link! http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/4845584459.html

Last edited by mistaake; January 16th, 2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like a fairly clean vehicle, and you can decide if the problems it has, are acceptable. You might get a CarFax, and or you or a knowledgeable mechanic take a good look with a drive out before purchase.

Keep in mind that these size vehicles are not known (some exceptions) for their superior gas mileage, but, I do get a very good feeling (personally) of the nice feeling I get knowing I'm driving a Tank

Regardless of what "appears" to be in good shape, you should (for your own comfort) be willing to go through all the mechanical features (lubes/plugs/wires/belts/coolant/hoses/other) at some point, to insure the reliability for the next 50 or more thousand miles. Some of our rides have in access of 250 thousand miles on them.

Take your time, and, don't fall in love too quickly
Old January 15th, 2015, 3:51 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you for the quick response
I did run a Carfax (I have their unlimited reports package while I'm in the process of buying a car) and it came up good as far as mileage, accidents, emissions inspections, etc. I also checked California's smog history and it's never failed a smog test while is awesome news. Seller does have current smog and clean title in hand.
A mechanically inclined friend who also did car sales for many years will be coming with me. We will certainly check all functions thoroughly and inspect the fluids, engine, and transmission. It will be good to look at the maintenance records since the seller does have that apparently.
Only issues seller mentioned on the phone is he just got the brake pads done and they didn't bleed it properly because the "brake pedal is a bit mushy now". That's not the end of the world.
Unfortunately you can tell I already fell in love and I haven't even seen it yet. LOL.

Last edited by mistaake; January 15th, 2015 at 3:54 PM.
Old January 15th, 2015, 5:21 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For the year you can't beat the mileage. It is just broken in. Good luck on your inspection.
Old January 15th, 2015, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Thanks all! Unfortunately I don't think the schedule between me and the seller will line up on that Tahoe. Total bummer due to the lower miles, and because the hoe gets better MPG than the burb if you know what I mean. What are your thoughts regarding this one? Of course I'd inspect, test drive, and Carfax it as well:
1997 CHEVORLET SUBURBAN (AUTOMATIC) SUV

On the plus side it's a tiny bit closer to where I live so it's less of a trip to go get it. Not a huge deal but hey that's a couple bucks less gas to bring it back! And I'll save exactly $1 on the price woohoo!

Last edited by mistaake; January 15th, 2015 at 11:05 PM.
Old January 16th, 2015, 9:20 AM
CF Junior Member

Good luck with your search. I'm also looking for a used Tahoe right now and not finding a whole lot worth even looking at. I'm working with a $10k budget which puts me in the '04-'06 models around here.

So far I've looked at 4 Tahoes and 1 Yukon. 2 of the Tahoes were a lot rougher looking in person than the ad pics. I knew as soon as I saw them they were not good enough so I didn't even drive them.

The Yukon looked real nice but had a long list of mechanical problems which the salesman was honest about. I didn't bother to drive it either after he told me what all was wrong with it. I figured there was something wrong when it was listed at $10k and the book was $14k.

One thing I absolutely have to have is the factory tow package. There was an '05 Z71 listed local so we looked at it. Very nice looking inside and out but when I checked it over I noticed that someone had removed the hitch and wiring back to the 7 pin. Why they'd do that I don't know but it turned me off that vehicle.

And the best story of all was an '04 LT we looked at. It was a bit rough, but not too bad so we test drove it. The salesman was with another customer so he gave us the keys and told us to go ahead and drive it. I no sooner pulled out of the lot when my wife asked what was wrong with the steering. It was so loose she could feel it from the passenger seat. When I took it back and told the sales guy I wasn't interested because the steering was loose as a goose, I was amazed at what he said to me. He pointed to my F150 that we'd arrived in and said (with a straight face), "You're just used to that Ford. Chevy's feel different".

I'll be making a road trip Tuesday to look at two more, an '06 Z71 with 121k on the clock listed for $11k and an '04 LT with 106k for $9k. All things equal I'm thinking the '04 is the better deal. It is 2 years older but has 15k less miles and is $2k cheaper, at least as listed.

Edit: I just looked at the links you posted. You CA guys are lucky to be able to buy vehicles that old and not have rust issues. Here in the rust belt I'm having trouble finding even a 10 year old one without a lot of rust. You'd never find a '97 around here that wasn't rusty.

Last edited by mmb617; January 16th, 2015 at 9:27 AM.
Old January 16th, 2015, 9:48 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The '04 LT may have just needed the intermediate shaft fix.
Old January 16th, 2015, 10:47 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by mmb617
Good luck with your search. I'm also looking for a used Tahoe right now and not finding a whole lot worth even looking at. I'm working with a $10k budget which puts me in the '04-'06 models around here.

So far I've looked at 4 Tahoes and 1 Yukon. 2 of the Tahoes were a lot rougher looking in person than the ad pics. I knew as soon as I saw them they were not good enough so I didn't even drive them.

The Yukon looked real nice but had a long list of mechanical problems which the salesman was honest about. I didn't bother to drive it either after he told me what all was wrong with it. I figured there was something wrong when it was listed at $10k and the book was $14k.

One thing I absolutely have to have is the factory tow package. There was an '05 Z71 listed local so we looked at it. Very nice looking inside and out but when I checked it over I noticed that someone had removed the hitch and wiring back to the 7 pin. Why they'd do that I don't know but it turned me off that vehicle.

And the best story of all was an '04 LT we looked at. It was a bit rough, but not too bad so we test drove it. The salesman was with another customer so he gave us the keys and told us to go ahead and drive it. I no sooner pulled out of the lot when my wife asked what was wrong with the steering. It was so loose she could feel it from the passenger seat. When I took it back and told the sales guy I wasn't interested because the steering was loose as a goose, I was amazed at what he said to me. He pointed to my F150 that we'd arrived in and said (with a straight face), "You're just used to that Ford. Chevy's feel different".

I'll be making a road trip Tuesday to look at two more, an '06 Z71 with 121k on the clock listed for $11k and an '04 LT with 106k for $9k. All things equal I'm thinking the '04 is the better deal. It is 2 years older but has 15k less miles and is $2k cheaper, at least as listed.

Edit: I just looked at the links you posted. You CA guys are lucky to be able to buy vehicles that old and not have rust issues. Here in the rust belt I'm having trouble finding even a 10 year old one without a lot of rust. You'd never find a '97 around here that wasn't rusty.
I wish I had that budget

As long as the vehicle is originally a CA vehicle I thankfully don't have to worry all that much about rust.

I found a low mileage Yukon. It doesn't have a passenger side airbag unfortunately. Probably won't get this one due to being a bit out of the way location but if I can't find anything else I can at least take a look at it.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/ctd/4849408683.html

Last edited by mistaake; January 16th, 2015 at 11:07 AM.
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mistaake
Unfortunately you can tell I already fell in love and I haven't even seen it yet. LOL.
HA, that happens
Sounds like it's going to be an easy go with it, just take a look under for rust, and good luck with your new ride !
Old January 16th, 2015, 11:41 AM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by 73shark
The '04 LT may have just needed the intermediate shaft fix.
Agreed it could have been something cheap and easy to fix but I was completely turned off by his acting like there was nothing wrong with it, as though it was supposed to steer like that.

Obviously he thought I was an idiot. And I thought he was a crook! so I guess that makes us even.

Mistaake - That Yukon looks really nice, and has those miles and the low price. You CA guys can buy used cars a lot cheaper than we can here. I'm amazed how different the prices are.

Quick Reply: Looking into purchasing used Tahoe, advice appreciated!