Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Looking To Purchase 08 Suburban - Need Advice!

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2015, 6:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking To Purchase 08 Suburban - Need Advice!

Hello Community,

I am new to the Chevy forums and to Chevy cars. I have never owned one so my knowledge is lacks!

Currently, I own a 2014 BMW and 2014 VW. With our family growing and the need for more vehicle space, the Suburban would suit the needs. I am seeking a used one as it will help keep down the cost of one vehicle; limiting us to one new car payment for the time being. The plan is to trade in the VW and or sell it to basically break even (based on the appraised value, I have about $2,000 negative equity).

I found one 2008 Suburban and Yukon in my price range. The Suburban is an LTZ and the Yukon is a hybrid.

The 2008 Suburban has 94,708 miles with no warranty. I have not seen the vehicle yet, as it is basically 1hr - 1hr30 min away from me. I spoke with the manager and he is going to see what he could do to throw in a "piece of mind" warranty (since we live over an 1hr from the dealer). Here is the car: 2008 Suburban

Here are some additional pictures that the salesman sent me for more detail:
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

The 2008 Yukon Hybrid has 81,600 miles. I test drove the Hybrid a few times and it drives and rides smooth. I did find out that the Hybrid has 3 warranties in place. A hybrid battery until 2017 or 100,000 miles and two special extended warranties: 1 for the Throttle position until 2019 or 125,000 and the Accessory Power Module (APM) until 2019 or 125,000. Here is the vehicle: 2008 Yukon Hybrid

Since my knowledge lacks on these brands I am leaning on the community for advice/feedback. I have heard that 60K-100 miles on these vehicles is nothing (basically it is just getting "broke" in). What types of issues would/should I expect? Is the miles on these vehicles too high?

Is there anything I should check or look for? How long can this vehicle last if it is well maintained? I your opinion, which one would you go with?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read my post.
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

The price on the Burb seems high to me. $21k-$22k seems more reasonable.

I'm not a big fan of 2007-2009 5.3 motors. Google "5.3 AFM" for some light reading. Other than that, it's a great truck.

The GMC Yukon XL Denali is a sister ship to the Suburban, and has a 6.2 motor with no AFM.

I'm also no fan of the "hybrids." Very low tech, kind of an afterthought by GM.

Very few people who buy a Suburban end up saying, "Gee, I with I'd bought the Yukon/Tahoe instead."
Many people who bought a Tahoe/Yukon end up saying, "Gee, I wish I'd bought the Suburban."

If you haven't used it yet, try Autotrader and run some searches. You'll find a lot of vehicles in your area.
Old March 28th, 2015, 7:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
The price on the Burb seems high to me. $21k-$22k seems more reasonable.

I'm not a big fan of 2007-2009 5.3 motors. Google "5.3 AFM" for some light reading. Other than that, it's a great truck.

The GMC Yukon XL Denali is a sister ship to the Suburban, and has a 6.2 motor with no AFM.

I'm also no fan of the "hybrids." Very low tech, kind of an afterthought by GM.

Very few people who buy a Suburban end up saying, "Gee, I with I'd bought the Yukon/Tahoe instead."
Many people who bought a Tahoe/Yukon end up saying, "Gee, I wish I'd bought the Suburban."

If you haven't used it yet, try Autotrader and run some searches. You'll find a lot of vehicles in your area.
Thanks intheburbs. I spoke with a few service departments yesterday and they told me there were some issues with the 5.3 motor, but it is overall a good one.

The tech also told me the 6.0 motor in the hybrid is pretty solid and they hardly seem them in for any issues.

I have been using auto trader. I will continue to look and see what is out there. Out the door the Suburban is $25,380.25. That does seem high especially for the millage.
Old March 28th, 2015, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

@intheburbs

What are you thoughts on this 2011 Yukon. It still has the 5.3L engine. Is it different from the 2007-2009?
Old March 28th, 2015, 8:49 AM
CF Junior Member

My 2008 LTZ is pushing 140k miles and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. Last year we put about 3500 miles on it over the course of 5 months towing our boat to our favorite lakes and have been very impressed with its performance.

We bought it last summer locally for just under $19k OTD so I agree the price seems a little high for the unit you posted. You sure you want cream colored interior with kids? Ours is black and stains are a little easier to hide.

Here is a link that outlines the option changes for the 3rd gens year by year...It might help.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...car-review.jsp

I wouldn't bother with the Yukon unless it's an XL. There is just not enough room for cargo behind the third row with the standard length.

Last edited by suburbansr4me; March 28th, 2015 at 8:51 AM.
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by suburbansr4me
My 2008 LTZ is pushing 140k miles and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere. Last year we put about 3500 miles on it over the course of 5 months towing our boat to our favorite lakes and have been very impressed with its performance.

We bought it last summer locally for just under $19k OTD so I agree the price seems a little high for the unit you posted. You sure you want cream colored interior with kids? Ours is black and stains are a little easier to hide.

Here is a link that outlines the option changes for the 3rd gens year by year...It might help.

http://www.autotrader.com/research/a...car-review.jsp

I wouldn't bother with the Yukon unless it's an XL. There is just not enough room for cargo behind the third row with the standard length.
Thanks for the information.

The link you provided does not work. Could you repost it please?
Old March 28th, 2015, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Here you go...
2007-2013 Chevrolet Suburban: Used Car Review - Autotrader

but in case it doesn't work I pasted some of the text below:

Model Milestones
2008: Head curtain airbags become standard. StabiliTrak and 6-speed automatic transmission now standard on 2500 models.

2009: A 6-speed automatic transmission replaces 4-speed on 1500 models. Optional back-up camera display in rearview mirror. OnStar 8.0 with turn by turn navigation, stolen vehicle slowdown and destination download debuts. Bluetooth connectivity with hands-free calling is available. NavTraffic feature added to XM. Side blind-zone alert now optional on LTZ. Second display screen optional for third-row seats. Fuel-saving 3.08:1 rear axle available with 5.3-liter V8 on 2WD models. Optional HD towing package with 3.42:1 rear axle. New integrated trailer brake controller. LTZ adds heated and cooled 12-way power leather front seats, Centerpoint Surround-sound Bose audio system, brushed-metal steering-wheel trim plate, a rear hitch cover and other trim upgrades. New LT luxury package includes heated second-row seats, Bose audio, power liftgate, and more.

2010: USB outlet added to console on all models. LT adds tri-zone A/C, power adjustable pedals, remote start, ultrasonic rear park assist, Bose 9-speaker premium audio and heavy-duty locking rear differential. Single-speed transfer case made standard on 4WDs, 2-speed is optional.

2011: Towing package includes an integrated trailer brake controller.

2012: New hard-drive navigation radio with USB port. Heated seats added to LT and heated steering wheel to LTZ. Electronic trailer sway control and hill-start assist now standard. Side blind zone alert now standard on LTZ.

2013: Powertrain grade braking now available in normal transmission mode.
Old March 28th, 2015, 1:59 PM
CF Beginner

Here you go...
2007-2013 Chevrolet Suburban: Used Car Review - Autotrader

but in case it doesn't work I pasted some of the text below:

Model Milestones
2008: Head curtain airbags become standard. StabiliTrak and 6-speed automatic transmission now standard on 2500 models.

2009: A 6-speed automatic transmission replaces 4-speed on 1500 models. Optional back-up camera display in rearview mirror. OnStar 8.0 with turn by turn navigation, stolen vehicle slowdown and destination download debuts. Bluetooth connectivity with hands-free calling is available. NavTraffic feature added to XM. Side blind-zone alert now optional on LTZ. Second display screen optional for third-row seats. Fuel-saving 3.08:1 rear axle available with 5.3-liter V8 on 2WD models. Optional HD towing package with 3.42:1 rear axle. New integrated trailer brake controller. LTZ adds heated and cooled 12-way power leather front seats, Centerpoint Surround-sound Bose audio system, brushed-metal steering-wheel trim plate, a rear hitch cover and other trim upgrades. New LT luxury package includes heated second-row seats, Bose audio, power liftgate, and more.

2010: USB outlet added to console on all models. LT adds tri-zone A/C, power adjustable pedals, remote start, ultrasonic rear park assist, Bose 9-speaker premium audio and heavy-duty locking rear differential. Single-speed transfer case made standard on 4WDs, 2-speed is optional.

2011: Towing package includes an integrated trailer brake controller.

2012: New hard-drive navigation radio with USB port. Heated seats added to LT and heated steering wheel to LTZ. Electronic trailer sway control and hill-start assist now standard. Side blind zone alert now standard on LTZ.

2013: Powertrain grade braking now available in normal transmission mode.
Thanks for the information! My wife and I went to look at the vehicles. She is leaning more towards the 2011 Yukon. Granted it is not as big as the Xl or Suburban, but we won't fully use the 3rd until 5 years or so. This still gives us a lot more space than what we currently have.

Do you happen to have the a comparison between the older Yukon models and the 2011?
Old March 28th, 2015, 2:03 PM
CF Junior Member

I don't but if you go to Edmunds, their reviews are year by year and detail what's new for that model year.
Old March 28th, 2015, 2:28 PM
CF Beginner

I don't but if you go to Edmunds, their reviews are year by year and detail what's new for that model year.
Thanks again. I just read up on it! Now I need to read up on what Flexfuel is and what type of gas I should use!

Quick Reply: Looking To Purchase 08 Suburban - Need Advice!