Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Looking at a suburban tomorrow. Any tips?

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2022, 7:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at a suburban tomorrow. Any tips?

After my wife pestering me, and finally deciding we need something bigger, ive settled on looking into a tahoe or suburban. We went from a Cx9 (awful) to a traverse and really has been great for us the last 4 years. Now im mechanically inclined, usually do my own stuff but ive always had my jeep or a ford truck, so im kind of clueless on these other than the normal 5.3l and overall these doing well. Its a 2013 lt, 85k miles 2 owner and has the leather and captains chairs and all that good stuff. Doesnt look like any rust, no accidents and pretty much all service records down to the spark plugs. Honestly, i know its not the best market, but if the price is right figured wed give it a shot. Anything i should look out for other than the usual fluids check, leaks, front end and the usual?
Old July 2nd, 2022, 8:31 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

Concentrate on the stuff that's expensive to fix
Engine
Transmission
AC
Rust/body damage

We bought a 2011 Yukon XL Denali May 2021 with 83K miles, and Mrs. Cusser has been very happy with it. We had our ASE mechanic check it out first (recommended !!!) and in the last year all I've done on it was oil change and replace the rear lift struts.

It seems that GM engines of that vintage have way less AFM issues than the 2021 models, and those years use R134a refrigerant and not the real-expensive 1234yf.
The following 2 users liked this post by Cusser:
Jbdpayne (July 3rd, 2022), Rednucleus (July 2nd, 2022)
Old July 3rd, 2022, 7:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cusser
Concentrate on the stuff that's expensive to fix
Engine
Transmission
AC
Rust/body damage

We bought a 2011 Yukon XL Denali May 2021 with 83K miles, and Mrs. Cusser has been very happy with it. We had our ASE mechanic check it out first (recommended !!!) and in the last year all I've done on it was oil change and replace the rear lift struts.

It seems that GM engines of that vintage have way less AFM issues than the 2021 models, and those years use R134a refrigerant and not the real-expensive 1234yf.
Thank you. Everything looked good and ended up going with it. They will be dropping it off wednesday since i asked them to flush the coolant. Aside from that i plan on chamging the rest of the fluids myself over the next month or so. Wife is looking forward to it over the traverse 🤘
Old July 3rd, 2022, 10:50 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you enjoy the suburban! It's the longest running GM model for a reason. Plus they are tanks.