Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Los Angeles members mechanic recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old June 15th, 2019, 10:46 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Los Angeles members mechanic recommendations?

I have a new to me 2001 suburban 2500 with the 8.1L engine, which I bought specifically for towing a 10k trailer. It's got about 120k on it, and I've driven less that 5k miles, with no towing so far. Check engine light came on and turned out to be a bad computer, which has been replaced. It has also needed some basic repairs. Used to have a mechanic that I trusted, but shop has changed ownership. Now I'm working on my 7th alignment for this truck, and still having some pulling and general steering wander. Going on my 3rd brake job for this thing also, and will need to have the diff. Serviced soon. They're is all pretty basic repairs that shouldn't have needed to be repeated. Not sure if I really just can't find a competent mechanic, or if some if these repairs are more challenging given that it's an HD truck. Any recommendations would be appreciated, willing to drive to any mechanic in SFV or Los Angeles as long as they can get the job actually DONE. Thanks in advance!
Old June 17th, 2019, 11:26 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Nicole G
I have a new to me 2001 suburban 2500 with the 8.1L engine, which I bought specifically for towing a 10k trailer. It's got about 120k on it, and I've driven less that 5k miles, with no towing so far. Check engine light came on and turned out to be a bad computer, which has been replaced. It has also needed some basic repairs. Used to have a mechanic that I trusted, but shop has changed ownership. Now I'm working on my 7th alignment for this truck, and still having some pulling and general steering wander. Going on my 3rd brake job for this thing also, and will need to have the diff. Serviced soon. They're is all pretty basic repairs that shouldn't have needed to be repeated. Not sure if I really just can't find a competent mechanic, or if some if these repairs are more challenging given that it's an HD truck. Any recommendations would be appreciated, willing to drive to any mechanic in SFV or Los Angeles as long as they can get the job actually DONE. Thanks in advance!
Do a search on Yelp. Really good info on independent shops and if you have a AAA card you might get a discount too.
Old June 18th, 2019, 8:41 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post the last alignment printout. the pull and wandering; does it occur only when pulling the trailer?
Old June 20th, 2019, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did a little more digging, and called around to some local shops. One guy mentioned to me that he had seen "cheap tires" affect handling the way I was describing, so I did more googling and found out that mismatched tires can cause the handling problem I've been experiencing. Even the same tires from different batches can have enough tread difference to affect handling. So I double checked my recently installed set of 4 new tires, and Lo and Behold, pep boys gave me the same size tires, 3 LT load Es, and one passenger rated tire. Got that tire replaced, and the wandering steering has pretty much been corrected.

The alignment/steering wheel was still off, turing the wheel towards 9-10 o'clock in order to drive straight forward, so I took it to a AAA recommend shop to have the alignment done again. Their adjustments are below. From what I can tell, it's off in the opposite direction now. Turning the steering to about 1 - 2 o'clock to go straight.

The car feels stable, and seems to be able to continue to drive straight if I let go of the wheel for bit. I'm trying to decide if I'm just being picky now, and should leave well enough alone, or if I should take it back and have it corrected again. I'm just a little worried I may end up getting it back worse.

Anyone have an thoughts or experience with this?
Old June 20th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the alignment numbers look good.
road crown and winds can make the steering seem off center so test on a center lane with no cross wind.

if you still determine its offcenter right...a good tech will just move the tie rods the same amount, approx 1/4 turn each side to move both wheels right. this will center the steering wheel without changing total toe or any other alignment angle. 5 minute adjustment that does not require putting the alignment heads back on the car.

I'm fussy, go back and say the vehicles drives straight but the steering is off-centre right 4 degrees (pick a number).