Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Loss of power

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2006, 11:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loss of power

I have a 1997 tahoe with 147k miles.I recently went on a road trip and encountered big hills. I lost power on the steep hills around 2200 rpm. I pulled to the right lane until I was able to regain power again. My check engine light was flashing like crazy. Once I returned home the check engine light went off and it seems to be running okay again. Any one else run into anything like this? Any suggestions would be great.
Old April 11th, 2006, 4:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Default RE: Loss of power

Charlieroc, Your fuel pump may be starting to go, or your fuel filter may be clogging. I would go to Autozone and have them check the codes. Once that light comes on, the codes should be in the computor. Good Luck!! Dondobe
Old April 13th, 2006, 1:03 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Loss of power

yeah he's right might be the fuel filter, uphills you hit the fuel enrichment and it's not getting enuogh volume. or check your cap and rotor, there might be alot of corrosion on the terminals on the inside of the cap, causying you to loose spark is it travels from the rotor to the cap. You might not notice this on regular driving, although under a load that lack of spark to a cylinder will cause a misfire. After all a flashing check engine light means that you have a really serious emissions problem, usually a heavy misfire.